Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
Johnthethird

Meaning of colour point

Hello all,

Some of the old lenses have a little coloured mark or point near the aperature ring, which sticks out slightly. The pentax K and M lenses on the forum are white or grey, but I have also seen them red, orange or light blue. It could be some sort of seal, but I know that you can take the lens appart without breaking it.

eg

foto included in the forum of SMC Pentax M 50mm F1.7 above right on the "passed" quality sticker.

or
foto included in the forum of SMC Pentax M 50mm F1.4 above the 2.8 - 2 mark on the aperature ring.

Anybody knows what it means or why it is there?

PS: Why would you leave the "passed" quality sticker on any product, especially if the product is more than 30 years old?

12-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Johnthethird Quote
Hello all,

Some of the old lenses have a little coloured mark or point near the aperature ring, which sticks out slightly. The pentax K and M lenses on the forum are white or grey, but I have also seen them red, orange or light blue. It could be some sort of seal, but I know that you can take the lens appart without breaking it.

eg

foto included in the forum of SMC Pentax M 50mm F1.7 above right on the "passed" quality sticker.

or
foto included in the forum of SMC Pentax M 50mm F1.4 above the 2.8 - 2 mark on the aperature ring.

Anybody knows what it means or why it is there?

PS: Why would you leave the "passed" quality sticker on any product, especially if the product is more than 30 years old?
The dot is there to make it easier to remove the lens without looking. See here for more:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/190776-what-wh...e-why-has.html

The sticker thing is mostly because of collectors- they don't take it off because then the lens will seem newer

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: