Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
DuncanP

Is AEB for K30 possible with remote cable?

I am awaiting delivery of a K30 and was shocked to read that I cannot use Auto Exposure Bracketing with either a timer or IR remote. I need this combination to take manual HDR photos (ie 3 RAW photos of different exposures). If I have to manually press the shutter when the camera is on a tripod, I will get camera shake. I was wondering if the remote cable could be used to trigger the shutter whilst retaining the AEB functionality. I would use one of the cheap cables or make my own.
Is there any other work around?
I tried my old pentax lenses with the K30 and this was the major attraction but the inability to do manual HDR is a deal breaker and the camera will be returned.
I read many reviews and looked at the specifications but none referred to this incompatibility.
It was only by reading this forum that I became aware of the problem.

01-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
It was only by reading this forum that I became aware of the problem.
Do you have a source for this? I don't have k-30 but it has a wired remote port and 3x AEB so I don't see why this would not work. I use that all the time on k-5. Can't be sure since I don't have k-30 but it seems strange it would not work.
01-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
DuncanP

I am sure that I read it on this forum under K30. I am sorry but I do not have the exact link.
I think that it depends on how the camera sees the remote cable and if it interacts with the remote menu setting. It could be that the cable is entirely seperate from the remote menu and in this case it may work. However if the remote menu option puts the camera into a wait state the remote option may be used and the problem will remain.
01-10-2013, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, I just read through the k-30 manual. This is not definitive because I have k-5 not k-30 but it appears you are partially correct. According to the manual the IR remote and bracketing are separate functions. That seems to imply they cannot be used at the same time.

However, the wired remote is not a menu item and just substitutes for the regular mechanical shutter button. On the k-5 you have the option to use bracketing with the IR remote, but I never use that. I always use a wired remote in regular bracketing mode, not remote bracketing mode. You should set "one push bracketing" to ON so all you need is one button push and you will get all three brackets.

One other difference is k-5 allows up to 5 brackets, k-30 only 3.

But it does appear that this will work, just with a wired remote. Try that when you get the camera, if it doesn't work then the k-5 is other option.

01-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
This question made me curious and looked it up and tried it out on my k-30, and I think jatrax is on target with his response. I think a wired (cable) remote would take the place of the shutter button and you should be able to use it to shoot bracketed photos.

The one thing that I would add is that you only have to press the shutter button once to take all three photos, so if you have a sturdy hand and sturdy tripod, you may not need a wired remote.