Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Leonski, Macedonia

K-5 pro camera?

Pentax k-5, k-5 II and k-5 IIs, it is professional category camera? What do you think?

01-15-2013, 01:12 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Only if the photographer is a professional
01-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 is considered to be an enthusiast/advanced DSLR (i.e. not quite as high-end as say the Nikon D300s, which is targeted at professional crop-format shooters). That's not to say that there aren't any professionals who use the K-5, though, as it's a very capable body! We gave a number of wedding and landscape photographers here on the forum who have one.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Leonski, Macedonia Quote
Pentax k-5, k-5 II and k-5 IIs, it is professional category camera? What do you think?
I've used the Q in a professional manner. Its not so much the camera, as the person behind it. They have to know what they are doing and have the tools capable of creating that image.

Full page spread in a national catalog using the Q (sorry for the quality of this, its a photo of the page so its not quite accurate)

01-15-2013, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #5
Ari
Veteran Member

I'm a pro - I still use my k20 for real estate and my k5 for events. I am thinking of letting my tank of a k20 go for a k5 IIs, though. It will be hard to say goodbye; I am not sure if there has ever been a better built camera than the k20......
01-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife does a lot of portrait photography and some weddings with our K5s. However, I have seen wedding photographers taking photos with Rebels and I am sure no one else cares, as long as their output is acceptable.
01-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

From what I've heard of working pros with K-5s, as long as you don't need Full Frame depth of field control, the K-5 is entirely capable of being used in a professional environment.
01-22-2013, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #8

The Pentax K-5 is best in class many ways from all of the reviews that I have read. I also own one and love it although I am not a pro. I think many of the pros use Canon and Nikon largely due to brand reputation, availability of third party lenses, and advertising. In the end, I for one agree that the camera does not the photographer make, nor does it make a pro. It is the vision and skill of the person holding the camera that defines this.

01-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Avid Beginner67 Quote
I think many of the pros use Canon and Nikon largely due to brand reputation, availability of third party lenses, and advertising.
Some pros also use Nikon / Canon due to the availability of professional services and the relative availability of replacement/rented/borrowed lenses; some need lenses that may not be available for Pentax (400/2.8, 600/4, etc.); some find the Nikon / Canon flash systems more flexible; some need or want the (generally) better image quality available from larger sensors.

Paul
01-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
Only if the photographer is a professional
+1 on this, well said.
01-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #11

I'm a Pro and i still use a K200D (albet a pain the the arse) in some cases, but the K5 is a fantastic camera and it gives a lot of other crop cameras a run for there money. Alot of other pro'togs say that Pentax are not a real camera because there all crop sensor. Most of the time it's out of ignorance, after I explain that it's a weather-sealed, mag aloy body (all all that other good stuff the K5 has under the bonet) they tend to shut up....furthermore, If anyone who say's caikon are better because the have full frame, just simply say "well we've got medium format"

Happy Shooting
Ben.
01-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
Inactive Account

The camera (any camera) is only a tool to be used by a photographer. Is the photographer capable of professional quality or artistic photography?
01-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well there are people who make a living from "Mobile photography" with Iphones these days so I think the lines have blurred a lot....
01-24-2013, 07:00 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Well there are people who make a living from "Mobile photography" with Iphones these days so I think the lines have blurred a lot....
To one extent or another, *any* camera that gives consistent results and produces images that the customer wants is a "pro" camera. To that end, even Holgas can be pro cameras if you tape the back up.

But the question as it applies to DSLRs is, "Can X camera be relied upon to focus consistently and accurately, deliver at least acceptable image quality and be dependable?" And I think you'll find the K-5 not only ticks those boxes, but is probably one of the top APS-C DSLRs that can do just that.

Pro-level DSLRs come with a set of expectations, usually about durability, weather sealing, image quality, resolution, AF performance, and lens selection. It's a category where other cameras like Holgas, and even Leicas, don't really play because they're all singletaskers. DSLRs have to be at least passibly good at everything.

To that end, if I have a specific job ahead, and a camera can do that job and do it well and be reliable...that's a pro camera. Wether it's my RX100 pocket cam, my K10D, or my pinhole camera.