Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Jim Stewart

Old Vivitar 80-200 from old Pentax K1000 on a new K-5

I'm hoping this is a common question: I'm also hoping that my old Vivitar SMS 80-200mm lens will fit the K-5. It worked great on the old K1000. Am I good to go?

02-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it worked on a K1000 it will also work on a K5.

You have to "enable usage of aperture ring" somewhere in the menu (it can stay enabled forever without harm). And you must use the K5 in "M" mode, and use the "green button" prior to shoot.

You also should have a look for the bayonet flange of the vivitar - it must be blank metal to shortcut a certain set of contacts on the camera bayonet to work. If the flange is painted or anodized, you must do something about it. There are multiple threads in this forum showing in which position there must be a shortcut, and suggestions what to do.
02-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Added information:
Pentax lenses have a short protective flange at the bayonet to shield the aperture actuator when the lens is not fitted to a camera body. There are many off-brand lenses where the manufacturers made this flange much longer than Pentax did. This wasn't a problem till - end of the eighties - Pentax introduced the "power zoom" lenses. The contact box for usage of the power zoom function is now preventing mounting a lens, if the protective flange is too long. The power zooms have been discontinued, but the same contacts are now used for SDM lenses.
If your lens was manufactured before 1988, the flange could be too long. Dremel could help.
02-13-2013, 05:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As said by RKKS08 you might run into a minor problem with Vivitars that looks like this:

And the solution to that problem could look like this:

Some even take the simple approach to unsrew the entire protective flange, as it does not serve any other purpose than protecting the aperture coupling lever.