Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
John U

Focus on Image Not at Centre of Frame

Hi. I'm new to digital photography, and have recently purchased a K-r. I find it OK, but am sure I'm not getting the most from the camera due to my lack of knowledge. I don't find the manual the easiest to follow, and have some real billy-basic questions I'd like to ask... I'll do them one at a time so as not to cheese you off too much. My first one is: How do I focus on an image that is not in the centre of the viewing frame? I'm being told I can change the focal position but I don't seem to be able to.

Any help gratefully received!

Many thanks,

John.

02-16-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi John
I'm pretty new to the DSLR world myself and shoot a K-5.
The method I mostly use, and I'm pretty sure would work the same on the K-r, is to position the centre of your viewfinder on what you wish to focus on.
Then half press the shutter to focus, and maintain the half press on the shutter.
This will hold the point of focus until you either fully press to take the photo or release the half press of the shutter.
So, while you are maintaining the half press you can then re-compose the framing so it is what you are looking for, then fully press the shutter to take the shot.
There are other things you can do also, I imagine someone else will expand on those.
Hope that made sense?
Cheers
Dean
02-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There is also a SEL focus mode where you can choose which of the 11 AF points will be used via the 4 way pad.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never experimented with the 11 AF points that the K-r offers, but I use the same technique that Dean offered above. Not sure about the K-r, but I know Canon's 60D and 5DMKII's focus points, other than the center point, aren't the most accurate. Never bothered trying with the K-r just from past experiences.

02-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jbuck92 Quote
I've never experimented with the 11 AF points that the K-r offers, but I use the same technique that Dean offered above. Not sure about the K-r, but I know Canon's 60D and 5DMKII's focus points, other than the center point, aren't the most accurate. Never bothered trying with the K-r just from past experiences.
The K-r has a 3x3 matrix of points as well as one point to the left and one point to the right of that matrix. The 9 points within the matrix are all the same (cross-type) so they should work fine when selected.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: