Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #16
Banned

BTW Adorama has refurb D5100 18-55 kit for $439.
Refurbished Nikon D5100 16.2 MP Digital SLR w/18-55mm DX VR -Refurbished by Nikon- #25478 B 25478 B

02-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #17
John Roberts

After weighing your comments and conducting a nauseatingly exhaustive amount of online research -- of course, I imagine some of the reviewers have personal biases -- I have decided to go with the Nikon D5100. I purchased body only and a 55-300mm lens online from Adorama. I based my decision partly on the fact that I already had an older Nikon lens (25-85mm) and a Nikon flash (Speedlight SB-25). I realize I will have to manually focus with the older lens, but that shouldn't be a problem. I've done it often before. Not having to buy a basic kit lens and a flash saved me some money on the front end.

Time will tell if this camera meets my needs.

In the end, I was torn between the Nikon and the Pentax K-30, but my previous Nikon experience and the equipment I already had on hand swayed me. I do think the Pentax K-30 is a great camera.

I thank you all for your input. It was very valuable to me.
02-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #18
mee
Veteran Member

If I was starting fresh, I'd be really tempted to get a D5100 too. Congrats on the new camera!

The more photo shooters the better.. I don't care what you use as long as you get out and shoot some photos! woohoo.
03-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New K5ll or not?

I've been researching and saving for months now to re enter the SLR camera market. I have a beautiful old Spotmatic and five Super Tac primes and the adapters to K mount and have pretty much settled on the K5lls but I'm way unimpressed with Pentax's lens offerings. Lots of old design good quality glass (thats now on a sort of sale) and a lot of medeocre plastic lens's and then their high end, noisy, failure prone zooms. I always (for 45 years) felt that Pentax was a special company compared to Canon and Nikon and I love my old film era gear but other than Pentax having some really fine camera bodies they just don't have the lens offerings that Canon and Nikon have or even Sigma.... I can afford to buy a new K5lls body and one nice all around high quality zoom ( a zoom that is worthy of a K5lls) and the only two options are from Sigma. For my purposes I'm looking at the Sigma 24-70 2.8 zoom. While its not quite at the level of the Nikon and Canon 24-70 lens's it reviews very well on many sites. So, I have pretty much decided on the K5lls and the Sigma 24-70 to start out and then save up for the eventual purchase of a Sigma 300mm 2.8 for bird photography.

Kind of frustrating not being able to find the "best" lens offerings in these focal lengths available from the Pentax lens offerings and now the discussion that Pentax might drop the K mount has me wondering if I dare start back up with Pentax?? Kinda getting the feeling that the new parent company lacks the passion for Pentax and just needed a quality "name brand" in its stable. Anybody out here have a good feeling about the long term presence of Pentax?

Thanks, Woodywesty

03-14-2013, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, I'll bite even assuming you are just trolling.

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
high end, noisy, failure prone zooms.
No idea what you mean here. Are you complaining about noisy zooms or failure prone zooms. The "noisy" screwdrive are not failure prone, never heard of one failing. The SDM lenses are silent, not noisy. They do have a failure rate that some think is higher than other manufactures. Maybe they are but the only definitive answer was from someone at Lens Rentals and they say the failure rate is comparable to Canikon lenses. Still if you don't want SDM then there are plenty of third party offerings.

Sigma 24-70 2.8 zoom. While its not quite at the level of the Nikon and Canon 24-70 lens's it reviews very well on many sites
You do realize the K-5 is an APS-C camera right? So the standard zoom would be a 16-50 or 17-50 not the 24-70. But if you want the 24-70 well, it is a highly regarded lens. However, Pentax does not at this time have any full frame cameras so they also have no full frame lenses.

now the discussion that Pentax might drop the K mount has me wondering if I dare start back up with Pentax
Curious where you might have heard that rumor. Kinda silly since Pentax has come out with 2 brand new lenses in k-mount as well as 3 new cameras in the last year.
Kinda getting the feeling that the new parent company lacks the passion for Pentax and just needed a quality "name brand" in its stable.
And again curious where you might have found that out? Since Ricoh has done more to promote and develop Pentax in the last year than Hoya did in the whole time they owned them.

So to answer your question, yes I have a wonderful feeling about the future of Pentax. Not something I would have said 2 or 3 years ago. But if you have concerns remember you can use those Super Taks on Canon just fine.
03-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I don't use all these cameras but this worries me...
QuoteQuote:
to live action (from the sideline) at nighttime football and basketball games.
WR for football might be a selling feature.. but the fast lenses you'd need, neither of the 70-200 2.8 lenses available are weather sealed. The 50-135 (which is roughly the equivalent of the 70-200 on FF, is. ( The Sigma 70-200 seems to be the front runner among the sports shooters.

For anything but the sports the K-5 will do just fine. The sports thing is going to involve some expense to do right, no matter what system you choose. given that you probably aren't going that route, the K-5 should do fine. But I doubt you'd be disappointed with the others either. Pick them all up, see what feels right is what I'd recommend.
03-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been researching and saving for months now to re enter the SLR camera market. I have a beautiful old Spotmatic and five Super Tac primes and the adapters to K mount and have pretty much settled on the K5lls but I'm way unimpressed with Pentax's lens offerings. Lots of old design good quality glass (thats now on a sort of sale) and a lot of medeocre plastic lens's and then their high end, noisy, failure prone zooms. I always (for 45 years) felt that Pentax was a special company compared to Canon and Nikon and I love my old film era gear but other than Pentax having some really fine camera bodies they just don't have the lens offerings that Canon and Nikon have or even Sigma.... I can afford to buy a new K5lls body and one nice all around high quality zoom ( a zoom that is worthy of a K5lls) and the only two options are from Sigma. For my purposes I'm looking at the Sigma 24-70 2.8 zoom. While its not quite at the level of the Nikon and Canon 24-70 lens's it reviews very well on many sites. So, I have pretty much decided on the K5lls and the Sigma 24-70 to start out and then save up for the eventual purchase of a Sigma 300mm 2.8 for bird photography.

Kind of frustrating not being able to find the "best" lens offerings in these focal lengths available from the Pentax lens offerings and now the discussion that Pentax might drop the K mount has me wondering if I dare start back up with Pentax?? Kinda getting the feeling that the new parent company lacks the passion for Pentax and just needed a quality "name brand" in its stable. Anybody out here have a good feeling about the long term presence of Pentax?

Thanks, Woodywesty
Hi Woody

Where's the K-mount discussion? I'm not aware that Pentax is suggesting dropping K-mount. I'm not sure there could be a benefit in doing that. The longstanding major benefit of Pentax is backwards compatibility with a lot of good glass in K-mount.

Regards,
Mark

03-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't use all these cameras but this worries me...

WR for football might be a selling feature.. but the fast lenses you'd need, neither of the 70-200 2.8 lenses available are weather sealed. The 50-135 (which is roughly the equivalent of the 70-200 on FF, is. ( The Sigma 70-200 seems to be the front runner among the sports shooters.

For anything but the sports the K-5 will do just fine. The sports thing is going to involve some expense to do right, no matter what system you choose. given that you probably aren't going that route, the K-5 should do fine. But I doubt you'd be disappointed with the others either. Pick them all up, see what feels right is what I'd recommend.
Here's a action shot. K-5 with Sigma DG 70-300 lens.
03-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shopping for a DSLR

Hi Jatrax and Mark,

Thank you for responding to my first post on this website. I've been looking on the web over the last three years at B&H and various camera sites on the web learning about the new digital SLR world. I ended up being most interested in the Pentax DSLR compared to Nikon and Canon for several reasons (one of which the bodies are smaller just like my Spotmatic was smaller than the Nikon F's) yet are still full featured and have a high quality build. I want the opportunity to get as sharp a picture than I can and I believe that the K5ll and lls will do that but putting the best glass that I can afford on front is essential. If I was rich I'd just go and buy Pentax's 15mm prime, their 100mm macro one medium zoom and the Sigma 300mm 2,8 lens and multiplier. But, I'm not rich and I've saved up enough to get the K5lls and a general good quality walk around/travel zoom. The Pentax 50-135 has very good reviews everywhere but on the K5 it becomes a 75 to 202mm lens which isn't a walk around lens for me. The Pentax 16-50mm 2.8 which is supposed to be their best glass in that magnification is according to B&H to be a 24-75mm on the K5 which I like but I've read so many bad reviews in so many places about this lens that I wouldn't risk it even at the price of the Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 (36-105) zoom which has reviewed better optically than the Pentax 16-50mm 2.8. The focal length of these two lenses is what I'm looking for to be my standard lens as they have a little reach. I'm sure that the Pentax lens has a much nicer finish and it does have the water sealed feature but it has some major shortcomings.

The metal primes that are so highly prized which interested me early on are mentioned on different sites as being noisy when focusing. I'd rather wait and see if they produce a SDM prime of the same optical quality but even then.. I have 5 Super Tac primes to experiment with even though their lens coatings are inferior to the modern lens options.

Yes, I do realize that the KF is a APS-C camera. Took me some time to research that over a number of sites. From what I've read the KF is capable of producing extremely sharp rich photographs with the smaller sensor. I'm sure the camera will be better than I'll ever be able to push it and it allows me to reach out a little further with nos so huge a lens which is nice chasing birds in the bush.

As for the K mount issue. I tapped into a discussion on this site earlier this morning. Several members were going around and around about it. I also fell that it would be a huge blunder for the company to change lens mount (I was pissed when they dropped the screw mount ;-) And it is a big reason for me getting back in the game. I bought off ebay in the last two two Pentax screw to K adapters (paid way too much but..) and am anxiously waiting to get the new camera and play with my old lens's and then compare them to the pictures from the new modern optics and coatings.

I have soooo much to learn but unfortunately I'm going to have to buy the new camera and lens without ever actually seeing them or handling them. I don't know anyone who owns one and the nearest dealer is 300 miles away. I live colse to Minneapolis Minnesota which is around a couple million people and no dealers there carry the Pentax DSLR. I feel confident from all that I've read that the K5ll or K5lls will be a wonderful camera as well as the Sigma 24-70mm 2.8

Hope I havn't offended anyone, I'm just trying to sort through the modern digital camera maze.

WoodyWesty
03-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pentax 16-50mm 2.8 which is supposed to be their best glass in that magnification is according to B&H to be a 24-75mm on the K5 which I like but I've read so many bad reviews in so many places about this lens that I wouldn't risk it
Well, I won't argue that the lens has it's detractors but mine has performed flawlessly and I suspect the vast majority just use it successfully in complete ignorance of the 'fact' that all the reviews find it so bad. But there are equivalent third party 17-50s that work well. Read here if you have not already: DA* 16-50mm vs. Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Comparison - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

I bought off ebay in the last two two Pentax screw to K adapters
I doubt you paid too much if they let you use your Takumars. As you can see in my signature I have a fondness for them as well. You will need to read this to be able to use them on the newer cameras though: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

QuoteQuote:
The metal primes that are so highly prized which interested me early on are mentioned on different sites as being noisy when focusing.
You should really try one before believing what you read on the internet. Noisy is a relative word. And yes, in an empty room with no other sound you can hear the lens focus. Outside with a wind blowing or people talking, not so much. I've seen those same comments and it is usually someone with a Canon or Nikon dismissing the Limiteds as 'noisy' and 'slow' since they have no equivalent. I guess it is the only put down they have.
But I'm not here to convince you of anything, just try things for yourself before you accept 'internet wisdom'.
03-15-2013, 03:03 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have soooo much to learn but unfortunately I'm going to have to buy the new camera and lens without ever actually seeing them or handling them. I don't know anyone who owns one and the nearest dealer is 300 miles away. I live colse to Minneapolis Minnesota which is around a couple million people and no dealers there carry the Pentax DSLR. I feel confident from all that I've read that the K5ll or K5lls will be a wonderful camera as well as the Sigma 24-70mm 2.8

Hope I havn't offended anyone, I'm just trying to sort through the modern digital camera maze.

WoodyWesty
Hi Woody
I bought from Adorama - and I'm in New Zealand! So long as you stick with a reputable dealer, distance should not be an issue. Like you, I had to wait a long time before I had the funds to buy a decent digital camera. Having a number of old Pentax lenses certainly helped the decision.
Let's hope the K-mount thing is another rumour!

Regards,
Mark
03-15-2013, 05:31 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New K5ll

Wow Jatrax, I just looked at all the old Pentax glass you have. I thought I had a bunch with 5 lens's but 'you've got many more and the cream of the crop at that. I know that the old glass isn't going to be as good as the modern "good" glass but these old lens's took some pretty nice pictures for me years ago and I look forward to being able to play with them again. In the next couple years while I'm saving for that expensive Sigma 300mm 2.8 lens I want to try playing with my 300mm Super Tac if I can find a better 1.4 or 1.6 teleconverter than my aged screw mount teleconverter that looks a bit like a piece of glass from a Cole bottle bottom... ;-) And thanks for the tip on how to use the M42 lens's..

Woody Westy
03-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know that the old glass isn't going to be as good as the modern "good" glass but these old lens's took some pretty nice pictures
I'm not sure that is always true, and there are a fair number of folks here that would like to argue about it. Those old Takumars still have a strong following. For the price points (as long as you can deal with manual focus) they are very hard to top.

Take a look here to see what they can do on modern cameras. I warn you this is a long thread, took me almost a week to read through it the first time. But if you want to know anything about Taks this is the place to go: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/31601-takumar-club.html
03-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can rent lenses, often for a small fraction of the expensive lens costs. I rented several before settling on a couple I liked. For special events like airshows, it's worth renting the expensive stuff, and my wife likes the test-drive idea since I've decided several just don't suit my style...

You can also buy used and sell for the same amount later if you don't like them. The lenses don't really depreciate past the new-->used drop.
03-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Takumar Club....

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I'm not sure that is always true, and there are a fair number of folks here that would like to argue about it. Those old Takumars still have a strong following. For the price points (as long as you can deal with manual focus) they are very hard to top.

Take a look here to see what they can do on modern cameras. I warn you this is a long thread, took me almost a week to read through it the first time. But if you want to know anything about Taks this is the place to go: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/31601-takumar-club.html
Oh God... now you've gone and done it. I'll be on that site all weekend and my wife is going to kill me... ;-)
The size and comprehensiveness of this Pentax Forum boggles the mind...
WoodyWesty