Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
Reinisable

Camera doesn't recognize lens

Hello, I just bought a Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 from ebay and after shooting only a couple pictures with my Pentax K-r, the display started showing "F - - " of aperture settings and the shutter speed window became blank, so the the camera doesn't do anything what I press the shutter. Once I changed the lens everything was back to normal, but putting on the 50mm lens on still prevents me from taking pictures and I can't figure out why. One thing is that I accidentally left the focus switch on AF while taking those first two shots.

What can be done to fix this problem?

02-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Switch to MF, it`s a manual focus lens
If the autofocus can`t lock the camera won`t work (actually it can but that has to be set in the menu). Those first 2 shots must have been in focus accidently.

Furthermore make sure "use aperture ring" is enabled in the menu and set the aperture-ring of the lens on "A". Than it should work in Av or M.
02-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Not positive this is true for the KR. It is true of the newer cameras. An A series lens should be recognized by the camera if the aperture setting is in the A position. It will work in auto-focus mode as a catch in focus.
02-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Not positive this is true for the KR. It is true of the newer cameras.
IIRC this also worked for my K100d and K20d. I could be wrong since I rarely use M- or A-lenses.

F-- is not good, if the aperturering is set to "A" (could be just dirt, clean contacts) but when not, it`s normal because you override the camera with the lens-setting.

02-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Reinisable Quote
Hello, I just bought a Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 from ebay and after shooting only a couple pictures with my Pentax K-r, the display started showing "F - - " of aperture settings and the shutter speed window became blank, so the the camera doesn't do anything what I press the shutter. Once I changed the lens everything was back to normal, but putting on the 50mm lens on still prevents me from taking pictures and I can't figure out why. One thing is that I accidentally left the focus switch on AF while taking those first two shots.

What can be done to fix this problem?
Setting the aperture ring to A should solve your issue. To use the aperture ring, you have to follow these steps (or just use Av mode to control aperture electronically): https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Here's my expertise! (well..... experience)

I pretty much exclusively use A series lenses on my *ist.

For starters, using the A lens with teh switch to autofocus won't do any harm, it will just mean the camera will refuse to take a picture unless it thinks it's focussed.

As for the F-- message, that happens because the camera is unaware of the aperture setting, when the Aperture is set to A it should show the current aperture on the LCD.

Step one:
Check the aperture is set to A and not anything else (easy to forget)

Step two:
if the issue still happens try moving the aperture ring off A, and then back on. Occationally the little ball that tells the camera it's set to A can get stuck and doign this can wiggle it free.

Step three:
take the lens off and visually confirm the ball moves in when aperture is set to F22, adn then pokes out slightly then set to A
also look on the cameras lens ring and make sure the contacts are all clean.
If the little ball (on the lens) is stuck you might need to look into something to fix it. (try to avoid taking the lens apart... it took me about 3 hours of magnifying glass, tweezers, and swearing to get that little bastard back properly)
02-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Furthermore make sure "use aperture ring" is enabled in the menu and set the aperture-ring of the lens on "A". Than it should work in Av or M.

If the lens is set to A then there should be no need to enable the aperture ring setting.

If it's not detecting the aperture when set to A there's something wrong, either with the lens, or the camera.
02-28-2013, 04:25 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
As said, make sure it's properly in A mode, and clean the contacts. The lens does work perfectly well on the K-r; I had one, and it was a great lens. You do have to set the FL when turning on the camera, though. It defaults to 50 so is a non-issue.