Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #46
Pitagora

Does the k5 have preset modes like museum, night, portrait etc like nikon d7100? If it doesn't how do you obtain those effects?

03-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #47

You can do that in post processing. The K5 also has some presets when shooting JPEG.

Tbh, this should not be on the list of things to consider when shopping at this level.
03-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #48
Pitagora1

I know that, but I wondered why nikon d7100 has and pentax doesn't.
03-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #49

Because Nikon customers (at least many) are more concerned with gadgets they never use?

The D7100 is a very good camera though.

03-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote

The D7100 is a very good camera though.
but ask him to wait for 2-3 months, may come with left focus issue (or) sensor dust/oil spray issue ..........for free
03-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #51

Hi,
I bought my first Pentax k 5 and I thought I should announce you guys along with my many thanks for leading me for this decision. I bought just the k 5 body from amazon and it should arrive in my country in 3 weeks. Meanwhile I search for some ebay offers and I found 2 lens smc M 100mm and m 50 1.7mm primes and I think they are a pretty good deal for portraits, don't you think? Also want to buy a m 20 mm for landscape, are these lens better then a 18-55 kit, what are the disadvantages for M primes, Over the new one? I saw they are pretty old, but still in good shape and on pentax lens review they get a very good score.
What should do, buy these 3 M primes, or a 18-135?
03-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congrats Buddy!! Enjoy your new toy!!
you want to try with manual focus lens first?
May be...start with M 50mm first
A new camera with a single lens will keep you busy for months

Last edited by Dynamo; 03-22-2013 at 06:41 AM.
03-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #53

Thanks.
I think if you learn how to use manual focus then you wil stop use af most of time, am I correct?is hard to learn how to manual focus? Sincerely, I was impressed by the picture quality from these old lenses, this is the first big reason and, secondly I want to learn to manual.
I saw that super pricy Leica, or zeiss lens have just manual mode, so I think pro photographers( this is not my case) use just manual, correct? Should I buy a 16-45 af, too?

03-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #54
Forum Member

Congrats on your first DSLR camera.
As for the M lenses, yes, why not, a manual lens would be a nice practising tool. Perhaps you might want to get one MF lens and another AF lens. On the other hand, you can of course focus manually with an AF lens, too. But if you wish to get a manual focus lens, perhaps the 50mm would be a nice practising tool. Other than that, I'd go for a nice AF prime or zoom lens. Like I said earlier, even the kit lens will be just fine to start with. Save your money until you have practised for a while.

As for MF, AF and professionals, MF and AF are not mutually exclusive. Furthermore, MF and professional photography are two entirely different things. You'll figure it out when you get some first hand experience. AF cameras still have the option for MF, so it's no longer an either-or thing, but rather a best from both worlds kind of thing. Just go out and shoot with your new camera, as soon as you get a lens for it, any lens!
04-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #55
Site Supporter

I've read all the comments on this thread so far and I think I'm exactly the same situation as the topic starter. I've never had a DSLR before, I have to decide between K5 and K5II (already decided that KIIs would be overkill) and I'm not exactly sure what lens do I want, which would be the best for the money etc.

After I've spent countless hours reading about those problems, I've come to the following resolutions:

Body: I think I have to choose between K5II and K30. I would gladly go for the K5 if I could, but I live in Romania where apparently K5 is sold out. If I order K5 from US, I would have to pay for delivery and fees and I would get around the same price at which K5II is sold here, not to mention that I will have the warranty in another country, is that correct? Also, while I'm open minded to K30 suggestions, I specifically plan NOT to use auto and shoot a lot in low light. Mostly landscapes. Would this justify picking the K5II over K30?

Lens: I decided to start with the kit lens (18-55 WR) for a while and experiment with it. I've seen amazing photos taken with kit lens, so I am sure that I will be limited by my skills, and not by the lens at the very start. But I have come up with the idea to add a filter kit (UV, ND and circular polarizer) and a cheap tripod. Is this a sensible plan? I'm not sure whether or not do I need to add a trigger, or I can just use the camera's timer (point would be not to touch the tripod when I take the shot). I'm also considering getting the cheap DA-L-35mm-F2.4-AL pretty fast after the kit lens. Would that be sensible? as I said, I'll be doing landscapes and architecture mostly, I don't pretty much care about portraits and range.

I suppose I will try to get a bag of some kind and maybe I need a fast card, considering that Im planning to shoot RAW only and mess up with processing? or is it the case that any card will do?

Any suggestions are welcomed!
04-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #56

Pentax k question

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
I've read all the comments on this thread so far and I think I'm exactly the same situation as the topic starter. I've never had a DSLR before, I have to decide between K5 and K5II (already decided that KIIs would be overkill) and I'm not exactly sure what lens do I want, which would be the best for the money etc.

After I've spent countless hours reading about those problems, I've come to the following resolutions:

Body: I think I have to choose between K5II and K30. I would gladly go for the K5 if I could, but I live in Romania where apparently K5 is sold out. If I order K5 from US, I would have to pay for delivery and fees and I would get around the same price at which K5II is sold here, not to mention that I will have the warranty in another country, is that correct? Also, while I'm open minded to K30 suggestions, I specifically plan NOT to use auto and shoot a lot in low light. Mostly landscapes. Would this justify picking the K5II over K30?

Lens: I decided to start with the kit lens (18-55 WR) for a while and experiment with it. I've seen amazing photos taken with kit lens, so I am sure that I will be limited by my skills, and not by the lens at the very start. But I have come up with the idea to add a filter kit (UV, ND and circular polarizer) and a cheap tripod. Is this a sensible plan? I'm not sure whether or not do I need to add a trigger, or I can just use the camera's timer (point would be not to touch the tripod when I take the shot). I'm also considering getting the cheap DA-L-35mm-F2.4-AL pretty fast after the kit lens. Would that be sensible? as I said, I'll be doing landscapes and architecture mostly, I don't pretty much care about portraits and range.

I suppose I will try to get a bag of some kind and maybe I need a fast card, considering that Im planning to shoot RAW only and mess up with processing? or is it the case that any card will do?

Any suggestions are welcomed!
Friend I am from Romania, too. Ma cheama Vlad. But let's talk in English in order to understand other users and to help us with their knowledge. If you want a k 5, order one from amazon, like I did, if you want to know further details give me a pm.
04-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #57

i want to ask you guys, if you use filters on lenses?i want to know if they really help to protect your lens? if they do, can you recommend me some brands and types for 18-55 wr?

regards
04-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #58
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pitagora Quote
i want to ask you guys, if you use filters on lenses?i want to know if they really help to protect your lens? if they do, can you recommend me some brands and types for 18-55 wr?

regards
Filter thread for 18-55 is 52mm. You should consider that maybe in the future you will have more worthy lens to use filters, though. For instance, right now I have the 18-55 too but I'm planning to get 49mm filters, because I wanna use them with Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL and maybe DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited... I'm planning to buy those in the nearby future.

So I guess you have to consider future lens with getting filters?
04-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #59

so, you recommend me not to buy a filter for a kit, right? i would also like to buy a FA 77, or DA 70 and a Sigma 8-16mm in the near future, but i saw on the forum, that are currently a few users which really use filters? do you really use filters guys?
04-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #60
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pitagora Quote
so, you recommend me not to buy a filter for a kit, right? i would also like to buy a FA 77, or DA 70 and a Sigma 8-16mm in the near future, but i saw on the forum, that are currently a few users which really use filters? do you really use filters guys?
I'm pretty sure you cannot use filters on sigma 8-16mm, unless you design some unconventional method.

I cannot help you with some recommendations since I'm a newbie myself, but my conclusions were:

1) Don't go cheap when buying filters
2) If you don't go cheap, then consider the future lenses when getting filters, since you don't want to end up with some really good filters that you are able to use only on the 18-55