Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Pitagora

Pentax k 5 vs k 5 ii

First of all I wann a salute you all, I am new on this forum and this will be my first post.

I want to buy a pentax k 5, or k5 ii and this would be my first dslr. After I done some research I found that pentax k 5 is more better then nikon d7000, so I stick with one of these 2 pentax models, but the problem is which one?
So I want to ask you, is worth to pay extra for the k 5 ii, or should I buy the k 5 which is for 759$ just body.

Does the k 5 ii improve a lot the k 5? I the new safox x slighter better the ix? What should I do?

I will buy with with standard kit, but in the next future I am thinking to buy a prime 15 mm and a ca 50 1.7, or 70 limited, are these lens good for my needs? I am going to use them for landscape and portrait.

Regards

03-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pitagora Quote
First of all I wann a salute you all, I am new on this forum and this will be my first post.

I want to buy a pentax k 5, or k5 ii and this would be my first dslr. After I done some research I found that pentax k 5 is more better then nikon d7000, so I stick with one of these 2 pentax models, but the problem is which one?
So I want to ask you, is worth to pay extra for the k 5 ii, or should I buy the k 5 which is for 759$ just body.

Does the k 5 ii improve a lot the k 5? I the new safox x slighter better the ix? What should I do?

I will buy with with standard kit, but in the next future I am thinking to buy a prime 15 mm and a ca 50 1.7, or 70 limited, are these lens good for my needs? I am going to use them for landscape and portrait.

Regards
IMO, get the standard K-5 and then invest in some nice lenses. The K-5 II's AF system will work better in low light, but that's about the only difference apart from a redesign of the LCD glass cover.

Read the K-5 II review for more info:
Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Here's a screaming K-5 deal, still cheaper than just the K-5 II body:
Pentax K-5 Camera w/18-55mm Lens, Bundle w/Pentax SMCP-DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 Lens 14762 B
K-5 body + 18-55mm WR + 50-200mm WR + 3-year warranty + 2x 16Gb SD card for $999

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hey, wasup. They share the same sensor, so IQ will be the same. Keep in mind that the lenses are very important, too, so as Adam said, invest in lenses. A good lens will also hold its value for a long time.
Don't forget to update the firmware on your camera once you get it.
All of the Pentax limited lenses are great, just find the focal length you find the most useful. Getting the DA 70mm would be great for most uses, an then something like the 40mm and 15mm later on. These forums also have a great sample photo gallery and lens reviews section, so take a look at those.
03-10-2013, 04:20 AM   #4
pitagora

so, should i go with the k 5, or buy the k 5 ii because is it's af is better in low light?

03-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pitagora Quote
so, should i go with the k 5, or buy the k 5 ii because is it's af is better in low light?
Unless you shoot often in low light, go for the K-5 as stated by Adam.

'Good glass' (ie good lenses) is more important than a few improvements from K-5 to K-5ii. Consider to get your K-5 with a couple of high quality lenses (eg.FA Limited or DA Limited prime lenses, or DA* lenses).
03-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Pitagora

So, should I buy fa 50 1.7, or da 70 limited? One of this would be a most used lens, so I want something good, but cheaper than 77 limited.
03-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
My advice is to buy the k5 with the 18-135 lens and use it for about year.
Then you can buy primes in the most used focal lenghts.

03-12-2013, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #8

K5 has better AF. It matters if you need strong AF performance. For me, it was important because i use to shoot basketball games!
03-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
Pitagora

After I've done some research, now I am thinking to invest into a k5 iis, the photos are more sharper, much nicer, but I am afraid about the moie effect, does this really happen if I shoot landscape and portrets?i buy this it a kit 18-55wr for now, and when I learn how to use it, maybe I get some primes, like I mentioned.

What do you choose betwen k5 and 5 iis?
03-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
Forum Member

Landscapes will rarely, if ever exhibit Moire.

Same goes for portraits UNLESS your model is wearing a very fine regular pattern on their clothing. (pin-stripes for instance)
03-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
Inactive Account

A friend of mine that shoots a lot of weddings told me he had issues when he got a K-5iis because of Moie with clothing and sometimes table clothes etc. He only shot one wedding with the iis (had 10% of his images show singa if moie, and returned it and got a K-5ii in place of it. He said when he shot general buildigs and landscapes he had no problems, but shooting wedding clothes and table clothes posed a problem for him. The images had enough moie that the bride asked why the focus/spots on her wedding images. I have both the K-5 and K-5ii and I find the AF is faster in low light on the K-5ii vs the K-5 but in normal light they are about the same. I am using my K-5ii with a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 and love the results. If you shoot weddings or basketball in a high school gym the K-5ii is the camera I would go for.
03-13-2013, 01:12 AM   #12
Pitagora

Is there any way I can evade moire in photos without affect the picture clarity and sharpness?
03-13-2013, 02:17 AM   #13
Forum Member

Well the one way is in post-process - I believe Lightroom 4 (and Adobe Camera Raw importer) both have very effective moire removers. In both cases I've not tested - purely read up via google.
03-13-2013, 02:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Since this is your first DSLR..I suggest you to buy the K5-II rather than K5-IIs. May be along with 18-55 WR kit. Go out and shoot for couple months, check all your photos, analyze them and check which focal length you use the most and why? Then decide on the primes. If you go for K5-IIs, you need to get good glass to realize its maximum resolving power. If you encounter moiré, then you’ll be spending lot of time fixing that in PP. Unless you pixel peep or make large printouts..you may not need that much resolution. If you crop your image a lot and don’t bother about moiré, then think of getting a K5-IIs. I had that dilemma but settled for K5-II and I am happy with my decision.
03-13-2013, 02:59 AM   #15

that's true, i haven't noticed it will be your first DSLR.

To be honest, if you're a newbie, you won't feel the difference!