Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #106

Maybe that's why your white is not looking pure white, cause you are not doing exposure compensation. I don't need someone to tell me the photo is not good, I already know that. Thought maybe some of the members could tell me what I can do to improve taking photos of these very reflective beads. All the videos I've seen show when you have a dark background you should change exposure to at least -1 cause camera see's it as being dark and overexposes picture. I've gotten some good photos with my old Canon G2 point and shoot camera, especially outdoors. Jewelry photos are not easy to get, even with DSLR camera.

06-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You'll figure out what you need.
Don't be afraid to experiment with making some adjustments, or even to tear everything down and start over.

I did not mean to insult you, but it is clear you are not starting in the best place by not fully understanding the basics of exposure.
Without that, the rest is going to be a bigger fight and cause more frustration than is necessary.

I and a few other have given a lot of good info. Some of it repeatedly.
But to each their own.
06-23-2013, 01:43 AM   #108

Tried lining the light tent with white paper background, to see if that made a difference. Set exposure meter to +1 and 1/3 more, same f-stop f/13 was getting 1/20 of a second shutter speed. Well this time, necklace was not so overexposed better but, background was not pure white, no shadow affects either. I think for shadow affects, would need to use a shinny plexiglass white background. Something about the gradient paper and lights cause beads to be overexposed. I'm thinking of trying solid black background next, but, you are right, I don't understand enough about exposure. Here is the link to latest photo with white background, if you can call it white. http://www.magicalbeads.com/workfiles/necklace_facebook_shanghi_gold.jpg
06-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Morning,

I just ran across this thread, and the improvements to your photography you have made is both substantial and wonderful. Not only in lighting, but framing along with composition. The few "product" shots I have done, for some lenses I was selling here on the marketplace, I have found that this type of imagery (for me) is very difficult, and I am just terrible at it.

The only thought I was thinking of adding is on the tripod head. It all depends on you. I found that with a ballhead I could get close to the position I wanted, but in trying to make that last small adjustment usually screwed up something else. I really like ballheads for landscape shots, but for other types of photography, I am thinking that geared heads may be a bit better. A geared head is similar to a 3D (3 dimension) head, where you can adjust each axis independent of the other two, and by using geared knobs - i.e., just one more click to get the adjustment you want with out disturbing the others. Manfratto has one that may be affordable (especially used), that would allow you to not have to change your QR plate or tripod - as its just an easy swap out.

07-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #110

amoringello
Took more photos of same necklace with white background. I upped the exposure to +2 f/13 and was getting shutter speeds of 1/8 to 1/10 of a second, exposure looks way better but, white is not pure white. I think the other photographer on here is using some shinny white background as he was getting shadowing affects.
http://www.magicalbeads.com/workfiles/necklace_facebook_white_shanghi_gold.jpg
http://www.magicalbeads.com/workfiles/necklace_facebook_white_shanghi_gold2.jpg
07-11-2013, 03:10 AM   #111

Finally got good exposure, here are latest photos.
http://www.magicalbeads.com/workfiles/necklace_facebook_bright_green.jpg
Jewelry, Decorative Cloisonne Designs, Necklace, Shanghi Gold - Gifts : Handmade Jewelry
amoringello, sorry if I was rude, I'm working as best I can, and trying to improve. All people on here have been very helpful, and I appreciate it. I put exposure at -2 or -1 and 2/3.
07-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #112
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I've not been keeping up with your thread, just looked now and wow, you have come along way with your images since you first posted here.

I hope your happier now cos these are IMHO look pretty damned good.
07-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #113

karrowdown
Thanks for the reply, thought maybe I had got people mad, cause no response. Glad you like the photos, trying my best to get exposure right. Just something about those square cloisonne beads, being very reflective, shinny. Trouble is you go down to -1 and 2/3 or -2, you get good exposure on the beads, but loose some of the gradation on background. Also, sometimes color on beads will be off too, with that exposure. Strange, one photo, color on beads was great, but, all the other photos at same exposure, with lights in same position, color was off. Go figure, it's a crap shoot at best with jewelry photos. Would much rather go outside, and take photos in nyc, than photograph jewelry. Believe me I'm not planning on re-photographing all my jewelry on the site, just some of them. From now on, any new jewelry designs of mine will be photographed this way, without the display neck. Also any of those handmade earrings from Peru as well. Not quite sure how I'll photograph my handknit scarves. Still can't figure out, on the photos I took with white background paper, how to get it pure white. I set exposure to +2, but still had a gray tint to it, or cream color. I appreciate any posts, tips, you guys give me, not easy when you don't have a person here in person to show you what to do, or camera settings.

07-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelry Designer Quote
.... Just something about those square cloisonne beads, being very reflective, shinny. Trouble is you go down to -1 and 2/3 or -2, you get good exposure on the beads, but loose some of the gradation on background. Also, sometimes color on beads will be off too, with that exposure. Strange, one photo, color on beads was great, but, all the other photos at same exposure, with lights in same position, color was off.
I am just thinking out loud. Have you tried bracketing? I would take the two exposures and use some tone mapping software (like Oloneo Photoengine - they have a free 30 day trial and its pretty drop dead simple to use) to combine them together. In this way, you might be able to maximize the positives from both shots, while minimizing the negatives.

Just a thought

09-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #115

Hi everyone. I'm new to Pentax and photography so please tolerate this question. I have been making craft Jewelry for about a year now but have only been building up inventory. I have asked my husband if he could photograph my jewelry so I could sell it on etsy.com but he's been very busy. FINALLY he purchased a Pentax K-30 for his birthday present and I have spent countless hours trying to find help in a starting off point for this camera to take pics of my necklaces, earrings, and bracelets. The camera we bought was acquired from Costco and came with 2 lenses. I'm not sure at this moment if either are macro lenses, but I don't think they are.

Would it be sacrilege to give me pointers as how to operate this boy-toy? I don't think my husband has as much urgency as I do in getting something sold to help out.

Mind you, I am new and every attempt to read the inch-thick manual for this camera I has ended in snoring, scratching my head, and wondering if I'm retarded as I pull my gray hair out. :P All I know is, it is way more complicated than pointing and shooting. We also acquired a photo tent and two cheapo flood-light looking things. So far the pics we have tried to take are gosh-awful as neither of us know where to start, boo hoo. ANY help would be much appreciated. We are cupboard bare in need of some small miracle in order to get by with selling my stuff. I have 100s of pieces to sell only no way of getting them from my makeshift craft table to prospective buyers at this time. I'm so desperate for help.... please, if you don't have more pressing matters, I beg you for help and patience with me! Thanks so much for hearing me out.

PS: Great looking jewelry, Jewelry Designer!