Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
Jewelry Designer

Jewelry Photos

Hi
I'm trying to take photos of my necklaces, using gradient paper that goes from black to white. I keep on getting light spots on black background. I've tried moving the lights, I've even put white board inside cocoon on either side. I changed exposure compensation meter to -1 but nothing seems to work. What can I do. I even changed levels in photoshop, but made it look like I colored it in with black magic marker. I'm hanging the necklaces using studio gray paper as background in cocoon. I think it looks good but, someone said it looks like I photo-shopped the necklace to the background.

04-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Show us an example.
04-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
Jewelry Designer

Jewelry Photo

How? it won't let me put link to photo I uploaded to my server. I'm not a member
04-11-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
I'm not a member
Just join up, there's no charge, you can then post a picture, we can then hopefully help you sort out your issues.

We have been known around here to like a challenge.

04-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #5
Jewelry Designer

Jewelry Photo

Hi Guys
Problem is I don't own a Pentax camera, I own another brand dslr, I won't mention. I stumbled on your site, and thought maybe you could help me. To be honest didn't much care for the looks of the forum for my camera brand. My old photo teacher in college, he had I think a Pentax 1000, now that was a camera I had an AE1.
I noticed on the registration they asked what Pentax camera you own, If I don't have to put that, then maybe I can register.
04-11-2013, 02:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelry Designer Quote
Hi Guys
Problem is I don't own a Pentax camera, I own another brand dslr, I won't mention. I stumbled on your site, and thought maybe you could help me. To be honest didn't much care for the looks of the forum for my camera brand. My old photo teacher in college, he had I think a Pentax 1000, now that was a camera I had an AE1.
I noticed on the registration they asked what Pentax camera you own, If I don't have to put that, then maybe I can register.
So far as I know, you don't need to actually own a Pentax when you join. (We may convert you yet LOL!)
This graduated background: Is it pixelated, even only very fine pixels? That could play a part in your problem seeing spots. Have you been able to replicate the problem with another background?
Kind regards,
Mark
04-11-2013, 03:14 AM   #7
Jewelry Designer

Jewelry Photo

Hi
So far no problems with spots using the studio gray background, have not tried the white yet. It only happens when I use the gradient paper. I found this jewelry designer Carol Holaday her site, she takes all her own photos, I really liked them. Found out she is using tungsten bulbs, around 1000 watts, I'm using Bowen Tri-Lite set with three fluorescent bulbs in each light. Planning on buying Bowens Streamlite 530, they have 5 bulbs, and you can turn any or all on or off. Personally I think Holaday is not getting the results just from her camera settings, she is doing lots of work in photoshop. My friend said she thinks her photos are too staged. I used to use a display neck, but, now I'm trying to get away from that, and hang the necklaces so they look like they are floating. Most of my older photos were taken with a canon G2, now I have a t4i, so photos are much better. I'm using the 18-135 zoom lens to photograph the necklaces, and the 100mm IS macro lens for my earrings, bracelets.

04-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Personally I think Holaday is not getting the results just from her camera settings
Camera settings have to be right but the lighting is the most important thing. With the lighting done right there is no need for photoshop. It should come out of the camera properly done. Not to say you cannot improve things with PS, but you can get it right in camera.

As noted above it is very hard to help without some example photos. Go ahead and join, the name of the forum is Pentax but really, many here use other brands as well. We won't bite.

Jewelery photos are very difficult to get correct but it can be done. There are many books dedicated just to the subject. You need to control the light, and unless you approach from that viewpoint it will not work out. Forget camera settings, they are not all that important. The light, angle, scrims, reflectors are what are important.
04-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #9

Hi Guys
Well I joined, so will post some photos so you can see what is going on. I've uploaded two using the studio gray paper, and the one using gradient paper with black showing the spots.
Thanks
Attached Images

04-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
The spots on the grey backgrounds look to me like dust spots on the sensor, time to get the blower brush out.

You can also use one of the clone spot healing tools in PP, takes a few seconds that's all.

On the dark background it looks like some form lens flare, because the spots look aperture shaped, are using a filter of any sort on the front of the lens?
04-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The grey background does not look bad. I agree with kerrowdown, you have a few sensor dust bunnies. Those will always show up on backgrounds like that if the aperture is really stopped down. You need to clean those out. Try lighting the background separately with a different light and get it a little brighter, I think it is too dark grey. On product shots (or anything with a separate background) you have to light the subject and the background separately. Light the background and adjust lighting to the shade you want before even putting the product in. Then add the product and adjust the light on the product to suit.

On the black background, I don't know, definitely aperture shaped. Is there any glitter on that paper? Looks like OOF spectral highlights. Could be the reflection off of glitter or pinholes in the paper. If you got the background at a craft shop it often has glitter on it. Don't ask how I know that
04-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #12

Hi kerrowdown I got the gradient paper from b&h photo, the studio gray is from calumet. As far as the clone spot healing tools in PP, where is it located, I have a very old version of photoshop 5.5. Not had any lessons in photoshop, mostly what my webmaster showed me, plus some lessons in digital photography with him online. He used to have his on photo studio years ago. I have a UV filter on my canon 18-135 IS zoom lens, I've set my aperture to f/11, and exposure compensation for black background to -1, for studio gray paper exposure is set to +1 When I'm photographing earrings, or bracelets I use my canon 100mm IS macro lens, and manual focus. For the necklaces, I'm using my zoom lens, but find it's easier to auto focus. I also spoke to the guy on the phone from Adorama, he is the expert in studio lighting, he told me 36 years in that. Was looking to get new Bowens lights, he recomends the streamlite 530 cause they have 5 bulbs with 5 switches, he says the more light the better. Was originally thinking of getting the streamlite 330 with the 3 bulbs. I added recently an overhead 12 inch diameter reflector that has 30 watt daylight fluorescent bulb, but wonder if that is really helping. Some photographer in facebook suggested I use a lens hood that might help, but not sure. Sorry if I sound stupid, or an idiot, i'm a rank novice at this stuff. Did black and white photography in college for three semesters with my AE1 and that was from 79 to 81 so forgot allot of stuff. If you want to see all my photos, you can check out my website, magicalbeads.com most of the photos were taken with my canon G2 and display neck. The oldest photos were taken outside with white sheet to defuse the light. If I can find the photo will show you my lighting set up.
Attached Images

04-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #13

Here are photos of light equipment set up, don't think it showed on other message
04-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelry Designer Quote
Some photographer in facebook suggested I use a lens hood that might help,.
Hi
I think, like the others, you're seeing lens flare. Yes, a lnes hood should help, and I would try that first, as a cheap fix!
You may also wan to incorporate a polarising filter, but just have a go with the lens hood first.
Good luck!
Regards,
Mark
04-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #15

New Earrings Photos

Hi Guys
Just took some earrings photos, using the studio gray background paper. I don't think I have enough light, that's for sure, not sure about background either. I used my 100mm macro lens at f/11 ISO 100 +1 exposure compensation. Maybe I should up the ISO to 400, but, I know industry standard is 100
Attached Images