Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #31

jatrax
Took some more photos tonight, using same tripod. Just needed to get the camera on the tripod vertically right, this time it worked. Oh, and tripod was not from Best Buy lol Here is the red earrings again and two other pairs. Oh yes, I have sold my handmade jewelry on my website magicalbeads.com with photos, using studio gray background, gray display neck, and Canon G2 point & shoot camera. Years ago I got a tripod from b&h photo, tried using it with my G2 nearly ripped the bottom off the camera trying to get it off the tripod.

Attached Images

04-19-2013, 12:37 AM   #32
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I've been sitting quiet on the side, as you've been getting great assistance from other forum members, I couldn't have said any more or put any better than you've been getting, but I didn't want you to feel I'd given up on you.

The last three shots, looks like your getting there to me, how do you feel about them now?
04-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelry Designer Quote
jatrax
Took some more photos tonight, using same tripod. Just needed to get the camera on the tripod vertically right, this time it worked. Oh, and tripod was not from Best Buy lol Here is the red earrings again and two other pairs. Oh yes, I have sold my handmade jewelry on my website magicalbeads.com with photos, using studio gray background, gray display neck, and Canon G2 point & shoot camera. Years ago I got a tripod from b&h photo, tried using it with my G2 nearly ripped the bottom off the camera trying to get it off the tripod.
Last three look great!
04-19-2013, 02:04 AM   #34

Hi kerrodown
Thanks for the encouraging words, I could sure use them. The others have been helpful, but do have a way of making someone feel like an idiot. Some of those quick release tripods can be tricky, I got one some years back, put my G2 on it, but couldn't get the camera off when finished using it. Nearly damaged the camera too, I had a great one I used in 1979 with my AE1, but cannot find it anywhere. So I think the one I'm using is an older Sony tripod, what I like about it, is, you place the camera on the top, and screw it into the bottom of the camera. That"s why I had trouble getting camera to go vertically on it, will look for a better one, when I'm solvent again. You can see how steady the earrings are, cause I put some extra dental floss a few inches down on the stand I made, so earrings don't move. Extra work in photoshop using the stamp tool, but easier taking photos, as earrings where moving around. My only problem now is, using the black background to re-take some photos, looks a little odd on my site with the other photos with gray. No way am I re-doing all the earrings. Will do some of my handmade jewelry necklaces, when I get a lens hood for my zoom lens. The macro is too close for necklace shots, works great for earrings though. Was trying to use some black plexiglass to re-take some photos of my handmade memory wire bracelets, but, don't seem to come out very well. I'm not posting any photos though, would dread to see what some of the other moderators had to say. That jewelry designer Carol Holaday, she uses non glare glass with black paper under to photograph her bracelets. If you look at her photos, you can tell she has gone to school for product photography. No one has that skill without classes, she is not self taught. Anything I know about digital photography, I've learned from my webmaster. I did get some good photos with new camera in new york city. Will post a couple, 1. Flatiron building, 2. Canal street Chinatown 3. Empire State building from Madison Square Park 4. Woolworth building from City Hall park.

Attached Images

04-19-2013, 02:21 AM   #35
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
My only problem now is, using the black background to re-take some photos, looks a little odd on my site with the other photos with gray
You could get round it by, making different earring collections within your product range.

Using coloured backgrounds as an accent to highlight the different collections, just a thought.
04-19-2013, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

On weekends, I sometimes do product shots for a local resale shop.
What setup do you have for hanging the earrings? I've tried putting fishing line in my light tent but that doesn't work well, as everything sags.
I've thought about making a small rig with two poles and fishing line tied tight between them.

QuoteQuote:
If you look at her photos, you can tell she has gone to school for product photography. No one has that skill without classes, she is not self taught.
Just FYI, self taught just means knowing where to get the information you don't come up with on your own.
SO MUCH information available in books and on the web, blogs, tutorial sites, YouTube, etc... no reason anyone has to pay for classes on photography.
Well OK, some people learn better in a classroom environment, but if you are able to learn on your own just look it up.
And that is NOT saying good pictures don't take skill. Just knowing HOW to do something does not mean you can instantly do it well.
Just keep at it and your photos can look just as good and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you did it all on your own.

FYI, if you want a glossy black surface, just spray paint (matte finish paint) one side of a clean plastic sheet (like those you might find in the poorly made poster frames you get at the $1 store, etc...) When viewed through the plastic it becomes super glossy and does not give the double reflection like laying on top of paper can do.
i.e. look up Larrys Cheap Shots; Black Reflections | Larry's Cheap Shots
04-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #37
Veteran Member

The others have been helpful, but do have a way of making someone feel like an idiot.
No one should ever feel bad about not knowing how to do something when they are in the process of learning how to do that something. Your photos aren't you, don't take any constructive criticisms personally.

Was trying to use some black plexiglass to re-take some photos of my handmade memory wire bracelets, but, don't seem to come out very well. I'm not posting any photos though, would dread to see what some of the other moderators had to say.
No one likes to make themselves vulnerable by putting their errors on display, and this feeling is unfortunately an impediment to learning. You will get the best advice when you post your less than perfect attempts along with as much technical info as possible so that people can provide you with the most accurate and relevant suggestions for improvement. Then reshoot, repost, and revise. It's worked well for you so far, your last three are photos show tremendous improvement.

That jewelry designer Carol Holaday, she uses non glare glass with black paper under to photograph her bracelets. If you look at her photos, you can tell she has gone to school for product photography. No one has that skill without classes, she is not self taught.
I can't tell that she's had any formal classes- there are thousands of 'self taught' photographers that have incredible technical skills. There so much free information available these days, as well as people willing to personally give you free advice, that a high level of technical competence in photography is possible by anyone with enough determination. I don't see any photos of her jewelry that you wouldn't be able to take yourself with practice and she was even kind enough herself to give details of her setups. Don't sell yourself short by putting up artificial barriers

04-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Took some more photos tonight, using same tripod. Just needed to get the camera on the tripod vertically right, this time it worked. Oh, and tripod was not from Best Buy lol
Actually I was trying in my clumsy way to say don't buy a new one from Best Buy get a real tripod. But it seems you got it sorted and the camera vertical so that is all that counts. Are you using a remote or wired release? I think that is critical for tripod work. If you have neither see if the camera has a delay function, set it to 2 or 3 seconds, press the shutter button and take your hands off. I don't even move my feet, just move my hand away and hold my breath until it goes off. Even stepping away from the camera can cause enough vibration in the floor to be noticeable if the floor has any give to it.

The last three are quite good enough in my opinion, though the right one has a bit cut off. You mentioned before you are resizing, do you mean resizing or are you cropping? You should be able to just crop out whatever part of the frame you want to use without cutting off parts as long as you leave a bit of margin around the item.

And in case no one has mentioned it, the jewelery work is very good (IMHO). Not that I'm qualified to judge but I like it.
04-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #39

Hi jatrax
I'm using the self timer, have been doing that for years with my G2. My website was designed, set up by my webmaster in Alaska, I have rounded corner templates that go around the photos. They are in different sizes, the largest being 375 wide by 500 high, and the reverse, I also have smaller, these are for my enlargement pages. The thumbnails are sized 125 wide by 130 high. Going to bite the bullet and put two photos of my handmade memory wire bracelets, one the original that is on the site for sale. The other is a new photo I tried with black plexiglass. Plexiglass gets really dusty too, so stamp tool is a must, and a pain. The new photo was done at f/11 would be better like you suggested at f/13, not sure which part of the bracelet I should focus on to get the right focus, the front, or the back. Although dark, I think the original photo taken with my G2 on auto, does look better, but, that's just my opinion. Have at it guys, I've got my suite of armor on!
Attached Images

04-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #40
Veteran Member

The new photo was done at f/11 would be better like you suggested at f/13, not sure which part of the bracelet I should focus on to get the right focus, the front, or the back.
As you approach macro distances, you get nearly the same amount of stuff in focus in front of the focal point as you do behind. So focus near the middle if you want everything in focus, and if you still can't get as much in focus as you like then choose a higher f/stop. Diffraction will start to take over as your f/stop goes up, which will make everything a little less sharp, but the trade off may be worth it for you so don't be afraid to try values higher than f/13.

A depth of field calculator might help you see what's going on: Online Depth of Field Calculator

I believe your camera is capable of tethering (connecting directly to a computer while you are shooting)? If so, it might be worth giving this a try. It will make checking your images for accurate focus quick and easy.
04-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

not sure which part of the bracelet I should focus on to get the right focus, the front, or the back.
With macro towards the middle. I usually use about 1/3 in from the front.

Are you using auto focus or manual focus?
04-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #42

jatrax
Using 100 mm macro, manual focus. What do you think of the black plexiglass, not happy with it, did do a shot with laying bracelet on the paper in cocoon.
Attached Images

04-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Focus is OK on #2 but looks like you are back focusing on #1 & #3. That's why I asked about autofocus, If you are manually focusing you should be able to where the focus is.

Ok, here's a thought: have you ever set the diopter on that camera? And before you answer that are using the view finder or the LCD screen to focus with?
04-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you ever check that DOF website several mentioned? Measure the distance from camera to subject and plug it in. Or post it here and I'll plug the numbers in for you. Something is off, you should not have half of that bracelet OOF.
04-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #45

Well jatrax, went to b&h photo today, to get a lens hood for my zoom lens. While I was their looked at the tripods, was going to buy the Manfrotto 390 series tripod, but, thought it was too heavy, and cheap looking. Guy recommended the 290 series, so, I got the Manfrotto 293 4-Section Aluminum Tripod w/ 494RC2 Ball Head & Quick Release. $159, more than I've ever paid for tripod but, looks like I'll get many years of use. Their was an Aussie their with his wife, looking at the Manfrotto carbon fiber tripods, just the legs without the head. I guess camera equipment in Australia is expensive cause, he bought the carbon fiber, and a head. Your looking at 500 to 700 dollars easy, but, man so lightweight like a feather. Now if I had come home with one of those, all the guys on this forum would have rushed my house to hit me over the head with their tripods. You said to get a good tripod, but, not that good lol. At least now, my camera will not be leaning forward on the tripod, cause too heavy for tripod I had. I saw some of the Pentax cameras their too, not bad looking, but not many on display. They seem to be pushing the Canon, and Nikon. Just thought you guys would like to know I took your advice, and got a better tripod.