Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
Davie Sanderson

DA 18-135 WR Snapped - Help!

I took a heavy fall onto my K30 + 18 -135 WR.
The K30 is ok, but the lens has snapped clean through between the focus ring & the zoom ring. The electical ribbon ha sbeen severd too.

Is this a write off or is it economically repairable in the UK.

Any help appreciated

05-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Davie Sanderson Quote
I took a heavy fall onto my K30 + 18 -135 WR.
The K30 is ok, but the lens has snapped clean through between the focus ring & the zoom ring. The electical ribbon ha sbeen severd too.

Is this a write off or is it economically repairable in the UK.

Any help appreciated
Could you post a pic? If any of the glass has been exposed, it's probably a write-off, though you might be able to sell it for parts.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #3

Hi Adam,

great forum - thanks for prompt response.
Image of a rather grubby lens - in two bits - with a smudge on the inside glass.

Sad really.

Lowest price new in UK £350.

Regards

Davie Paraffin
Attached Images

05-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
Forum Member

Paraffin,

Are you OK yourself? It seems that you dropped almost 10 floors...

I think this is a permanent write off beyond any repair. I see metal bits snapped. Possibly it could be used for spares...

05-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #5

John III,
thank you for your concern. I fell 5 ft down sideways on top of it onto a cobble beach. Now have a sore knee, sore wallet (got replacement for £350 from SRS Microsystems, Watford, England incl. 2 yrs warranty - someone else wanted body only - so they split the pack - otherwise £500+!) Had the original only 4 weeks - not insured.

The repair shop in Glasgow, Scotland quoted £98 as an intitial estimate for repair - I sent the attached image for them to be sure they really knew what they were taking on.

I tend to agree - write off. If put back together will it ever be true? Spare parts - who & what?

Davie Sanderson
05-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Paraffin Quote
Image of a rather grubby lens - in two bits
Wow you don't do things by half's do you.

Did the camera body survive this, that would have been a fair jolt for that too.
05-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #7

Hi Kerrow,

nice to meet a fellow Scottish Pentaxian -and a water sports one too - I river & sea kayak. I discovered the UK Pentax forum only last week.

I have put that K30 through the mill. It is still clicking away nicely - despite two falls!

At Easter at Glencoe ski hill I slid 100 ft + under the cliffhanger chair with the K30 slung over my shoulder and out of any bag - not a mark. (I hardly fall skiing btw). So I should have learned. Now got a lovely Ortlieb Aqua Zoom bag to protect it.

AJ Johnstone in Glasgow estimate £98 for repair - have you any reccomedations for repair or selling on the bits?

many thanks

Davie

05-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I discovered the UK Pentax forum
I used to go there, but I find this forum far more diverse and International in it's membership, being the windswept and interesting person that I am.

You don't say "furry boots" your from, but dinae come up here, you're far too accident prone for my liking.

I they can really repair it for £98 and its what a £350 lens, it may well be worth doing and then selling on as you've already replaced it.
05-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #9

Furry boots? - originally Kirkintilloch - Now - Keswick, Cumbria.
Only started falling over when I got the K30 - must have unbalanced me?
Anyway will drop lens into AJ Johnstone's next time I am in Glesga.

thank you

Davie
05-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

will drop lens into AJ Johnstone's
Perhaps place it safely in their hands, rather than this drop business you seem so insanely keen on.
05-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
R.I.P. oh dear DA.
05-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
R.I.P. oh dear DA.
We have the technology, here in Scotland we can rebuild it into the "bionic lens".

Well ish.