Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
Gabriele Lunardi

moving power zoom

I have just purcheased an old power zoom lens to find out that it's not working on k100.
How can I zoom it manually? May I apply x volts to the contacts to move it to another position? How can I do it ?
Tnx

05-17-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
from what I remember, you can slide the zoom ring forwards or backwards to switch between power and manual zoom mode. you will hear a small click sound when you slide it.
I believe it is the backward slide to change to manual zoom mode.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gabriele Lunardi Quote
I have just purcheased an old power zoom lens to find out that it's not working on k100.
How can I zoom it manually? May I apply x volts to the contacts to move it to another position? How can I do it ?
Tnx

Last edited by pakinjapan; 05-17-2013 at 01:34 AM.
05-17-2013, 04:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
pakinjapan is right.Here's what the Pentax FA Lens Manual (2002) says about the subject:

QUOTE:
"When combined with non-KAF2-mount cameras, FA Zoom lens with power supply contacts does not work following functions.

• As the Power Zoom function does not work, set the manual zoom mode. Pull the zoom ring towards the camera side until the words "POWER ZOOM" disappears to set the manual zoom mode.

• The Auto Zoom switch and Zoom Set button do not work

Using the power zoom
Push the zoom ring forward until the word "POWER ZOOM "appears on the ring, and move the zoom ring to right or left to change the focal length.

Using the manual zoom
Pull the zoom ring back to use as manualzoom ring, the word "POWER ZOOM" disappears
END OF QUOTE

Hope, that helps?

05-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gabriele Lunardi Quote
Tnx
As others have said, just pull the ring back and then you can zoom manually.

For the record, Pentax's high-end DSLRs do support power zoom. This includes, the K-5, K-7, K20D, and K10D models.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

@ the OP
@ Adam

I can't verify it myself, but I repeat one of my older postings:

The K10D, K20D, K-7 do support power zoom, the K100D, K200D, K-x, K-r don't, so it's not old versus new.

About the *istD models I am not sure.

There is a list from 2009 by falc

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...explained.html

(post #4)

K-5 wasn't out in 2009.

EDIT: If this list is correct, Powerzoom will not work with the K100 of the OP.
05-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As others have said, just pull the ring back and then you can zoom manually.

For the record, Pentax's high-end DSLRs do support power zoom. This includes, the K-5, K-7, K20D, and K10D models.
Powerzoom works on my K-10D and K-20D too, but not on my K-30 .