Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
Caro

Lens advice please!

Hello! I'm a novice on the lookout for a new lens. I have a Pentax Kr using a Tamron 28-75. I'm looking for a new all-rounder with a good zoom and was thinking of buying the Sigma 18-250. Has anyone any feedback on this lens or recommendations on others? I've seen this particular lens for $450AUD and that's pretty much my budget.
Appreciate your feedback. Thanks, Caro

06-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Always have first a look at our lens database.

There are 2 Sigmas 18-250 (for one of them production may have run out).

You will find some user reviews at
Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
and
Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Opinions about both lenses are really mixed. Some users were very satisfied, others very disappointed.

But in our database you will find reviews of many many other lenses.
07-09-2013, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
New Lens?

Hello Caro,
The lenses you've listed, and others like it, are commonly called 'SuperZooms' because they cover the three main focal lengths; Wide angle, standard (medium or middle) and telephoto. About the best thing you can say is that they're convenient. Generally they do everything OK, but nothing well.
Each of the three focal range groups has different optical requirements, so trying to meet those needs with the same lens results in compromises. In superzooms the compromises are slow maximum aperture, meaning they can't be used indoors or low-light situations very well, they are big and heavy, some parts of the focal range aren't as sharp or free from abberations as others and overall the optical quality doesn't meet the highest standards.
My opinion is that you would be better served by looking at a zoom (if that's more suited to your needs than a single-focal length lens, or prime lens) that covers one area of the focal range. In other words, if you're more interested in wildlife and sports, look for a good quality telephoto zoom, perhaps 50-200mm or 55-300mm, etc. Same for the wide-angle range; A 16-50mm, 10-20mm or similar. What you now have is a good medium-length zoom, the middle area of focal length.
Supplementing that with a wide-angle zoom and a telephoto zoom means that you would have three good lenses instead of one mediocre one and your current lens.
Just my opinion,Good Luck!
Ron