Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #1
Sam Pentax

blur with K-30

I have some concerns with new K-30 with the non weather resistant 18-55 mm lens:
1) on auto mode when taking photos- I at times hear an abnormally long sound with pushing the shutter release button. It sounds like the shutter stays open an excessive amount of time. A blurry image is captured. When I change to scene mode and pick kids, then shutter snap sound is brief and sound more normal with clear image captured.
2) I am also surprised in auto mode, when taking picture of moving child, blurry image captured of the moving object. I think it was better only with fast moving objects mode, not even kids mode.
3) I also hear click as I tilt camera right and left only with flash closed- is the normal sound of SR mechanism described on other forums?
4) Is the image quality any better with a weather resistant vs. normal 18-55 mm lens? The cost difference is only $50 now on B and H.

Thank you.

06-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
3 this sound is normal, see the stickies on the Pentax clunk sound for more info.
4 optically, the two lenses are the same

As for the image quality issues, they can most likely be attributed to bad settings. Please upload some photos straight out of your camera (using our attachment system) and we'll take a look!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hey, welcome!
To capture fast moving subjects I suggest you use Tv mode and dial in 1/200 or faster, like 1/500, even 1/1000. You probably want to hit the ISO button and set it to Auto ISO up to.. ISO 2000 or so. Lowest ISO produces best photos, but you have to raise it to keep photos bright when you have a fast shutter speed.
But for the kit lens, shutter speeds as low as 1/100 should be okay, if you have steady hands and SR enabled.
If you want a lens similar to the kit lens, but a little better, you might want to look at Pentax 16-45mm, Tamron 17-50mm or Sigma 17-50mm. These all have better light gathering capabilities (low f-number) and can "freeze" action better.
If you want absolutely best quality you might want to get lenses with fixed focal lengths (aka prime lenses), like the DA 35mm f2.4, DA 50mm f1.8, and DA 40mm XS. These aren't as convenient as zoom lenses, since you can't zoom, but they offer better image quality and low light performance.

Oh, and photos that have a long exposure can happen in dark places if you have the camera set on an auto mode. In those cases, after the long exposure, the camera will close the shutter again and take a second frame with a closed shutter to remove noise (and improve IQ) and appear to be unresponsive as it does that. Don't worry, its a standard feature. You can disable this by disabling "slow shutter noise reduction" or "dark frame noise reduction" (I forget what its called in the menus). Or you can just avoid long exposures, by taking control of the exposure length in Tv mode. remember that the number is either the number of seconds the photo will be exposed for (if the number is followed by " ) or a fraction of a second (like 1/80, 1/320, etc., where a bigger denominator means shorter exposure and action more frozen, but also needs a lot of light so it might appear dark. To compensate for the darkness, you want the f-stop to be low and the ISO to be higher, but both of those have other drawbacks)
06-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Sam, I suspect that you have the camera set to a mode such as Av with a high f/stop number (small hole). This will cause a long shutter speed, which in turn displays motion blur.