Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Have you thought about the K-30?

The price is quite a lot cheaper then the K-5 and you will get just as good if not a little better IQ. The K-30 has less AA filtering than the K-5.

I have a K-01 as well as a K-30, and I used to have a K10d.

The K-01 would be just dandy for landscape as long as you get a hood or eyepiece/hood for the screen. I have one of the 3x eyepices because the screen is not really all that viewable in bright light.
As long as you are not doing action type photography and don't need high RAW burst rates, the K-01 will do just as good as a K-5, and possibly even better since it has less AA filtering than the K-5.

I would take my K-01 over a k10d any day for non-action photography. You also do not have to worry about front/back focus on the K-01. Same is true if you use a different camera in live view mode.

07-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #17
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Another vote for the K10D and 15 mm combo.
07-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K10D and 15mm.

Next move is to upgrade the K10D to something newer. May I suggest looking for a used K-01 though. Sure it's a bit different to the K10D or your run-of-the-mill DSLR, but the image quality for the $ spent is outstanding.

See this thread for examples...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/178409-add-your-best-k-01-pho...ml#post2311259

Last edited by kcmadr; 07-16-2013 at 02:43 PM.
07-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #19
Site Supporter

I would get the lens. You can shoot landscapes at low ISO with the K10D.

07-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go for lens first. I'm still using a K10 and I would like to upgrade, but only for wildlife shooting so I can have cleaner high ISO shots.
07-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Ace, have you used a 15mm before? I say go for the best lens, cheaper camera but it is not a "do it all" lens. Might be for some though...
07-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #22
Ace

I have not used the 15mm lens. I own a Pentax 18-55 kit lens and a Sigma 24-70 2.8. I'm looking for something that will let me shoot at a wider angle and be an upgrade in quality. I have used prime lenses with a rangefinder in the past and have no issues with the lack of flexibility.
07-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ace Quote
I have not used the 15mm lens. I own a Pentax 18-55 kit lens and a Sigma 24-70 2.8. I'm looking for something that will let me shoot at a wider angle and be an upgrade in quality. I have used prime lenses with a rangefinder in the past and have no issues with the lack of flexibility.
That info makes a huge difference on what advice one would give. In that case forget the mention of the 16-45 and go with the 15DA

07-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The biggest advantage of the K-5 over K-10D [I have both] imaging landscapes is increased dynamic range. I rarely need to use HDR or exposure fusion with the K-5 with its wide dynamic range.
07-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I own a Pentax 18-55 kit lens and a Sigma 24-70 2.8
And what camera do you mount them on?
07-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Should I purchase better camera or better lens?

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think most people will suggest lenses first, unless you need something that only new cameras offer, like high MP count, video capabilities, live view, focus peaking..
Lenses also lose value very slowly, so you can sell them years later at a minimal net loss. Camera bodies tend to depreciate quickly, down to a certain value where they stabilize.

Btw, if you are on a budget, you might also want to look at K-01 deals. New or second hand, you can sometimes get it for under $300. For landscapes, the K-01 should be great. Its not super fast, but its not a big problem for landscape photography. It has a weak AA filter, so it will produce sharp photos. And its very compact.

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Another vote for the K10D and 15 mm combo.
Na Horuk and the Kerrowdown have given the two bits of advice that you need, really, and there's not much more to say. Still, as it's good to be seen in company of smart people and skilled photographers like those two folks, I'll waffle on for a bit

I've got a K10D, and it was my "top of the line" cam until this year, when I got a K-01. The K10D is still my only "dust and weather resistant" camera, so it still gets plenty of use with a DA* lens on. While I love the K-01, it's /not/ "dust and weather resistant" at all - that may be an argument in favor of the K10D over the K-01?

Image quality wise, the 10.2 Mpix CCD sensor in the K10D is lovely - and I am actually occasionally surprised how "little" difference there is with the photos that come out of the K-01 (which has the same sensor as K-30/50/5 ....): plenty of resolution for viewing on the screen/iPad and for printing (regularly, up to A4, occasionally bigger). Occasionally, the K10D sensor "renders" better...that's hard to explain exactly, and as it is "occasionally" I do not have good photos to show on the iPad, but it seems that some scenes come out more "naturally" like my eye remembers them on the K10D, whereas a bit of PP is required for the K-01. All this just to say that the K10D sensor does hold itself well even when up against the more modern sensor in the K-01/30/50/5 ....

So, the K10D is a great camera choice. What're the downsides? Well, it's slower when compared to the K5ii (even, to the K-01), for in-camera processing of RAW to jpeg. It has a much smaller and less luminous screen on the back, and it doesn't do LiveView.

Na Horuk and the Kerrowdown say "get the 15mm", and I can only second that. Just go look on the thread "The 15mm limited controls my mind", it's a fantastic lens, also for landscape photography, and you can count on it deprecating /very/ slowly. It has a cult following on here. Also - and I keep saying this - a camera body is but a light-sealed box, and does have very little to do with IQ, which ultimately comes from the lens (and some from the sensor - but, we already talked about that being a wash).

A final word: I do not know what kit-lens you were considering with the K5, but my experience is, that kit-lenses today (such as my pet-peeve, the 18-55 AL ... of which I now have 2 or 3, that came with different cameras, and which I have actually tested) are utterly useless: soft, prone to flare, lack contrast, lack resolution flimsy construction, ..., and really are not worth their weight in second-hand mud. With the 15mm Ltd, you'll get a prime prime (pun intended) of the highest build and optical qualities.

So, in conclusion:

-> I respectfully disagree with Na Horuk on the K-01 suggestion, due to lack of dust & weather sealing.

-> But I'm enthusiastically with Na Horuk and the Kerrowdown when they say "go for the K10D + 15mm."
07-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I love hearing owners of K10D's talk about the camera. Most have upgraded to newer cameras, but they all seem to have a place in their heart for the K10D. It reminds me of the days of film cameras. It's rare in digital with the rapid advancements of technology that people have attachments to older cameras.
Hah, I guess that Pentaxians are a bit the oddballs of the digicam-community - or, perhaps, that some Pentax cameras just are special. Quite a few of us are still quite fond of our *istD. It, and the K10D, both are old cameras, both are with me and much used still, and both have "spoken to me" more than any other cameras this millennia.

(That's also to say that K-x/m/r/20/7/5, while absolutely nice cameras, never created the same "bond" with me, seemed somewhat "bland" and "sure, it's another camera" whereas the K10D and *istD were "wow!"....go figure, it took until the damn K-01 for that to happen again....but this is digressing ...)
07-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #28
Veteran Member

If you're only making one purchase then the K-5 with kit lens is more practical. If you're camera crazy like us then the da 15 + k10d is pretty damn hard to pass up, buy some cheap manual Primes to fill the gaps and save for a second hand k-5 which will be very affordable sooner rather than later. Depends on how you want to proceed.
07-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #29
Ace

I have been using the IstD since I bought it new. It's been a great camera for many, many years. But now I feel like it's focus is sometimes just a tad off and it does a poor job with some exposures and white balance. I tend to shoot everything in manual now and then need to spend time in Lightroom adjusting color. That would be the main reason for me wanting the K5 is to let the camera do more of the work. But I actually have become a more focused photographer having to slow down a set everything manually so I don't mind some inconveniences if the K10 is not as advanced as the K5.
07-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I have been using the IstD since I bought it new. It's been a great camera for many, many years. But now I feel like it's focus is sometimes just a tad off and it does a poor job with some exposures and white balance. I tend to shoot everything in manual now and then need to spend time in Lightroom adjusting color. That would be the main reason for me wanting the K5 is to let the camera do more of the work. But I actually have become a more focused photographer having to slow down a set everything manually so I don't mind some inconveniences if the K10 is not as advanced as the K5.
I have done it both ways, buy the good camera and make due with average glass and the other way around too. In my opinion, always buy the better glass. I have had many versions of Pentax cameras like so many other forum members and I can tell you that, like so many other K-01 owners, that little camera has impressed the hell out of me. It is my go to camera for street, MACRO, and portrait work, but you can't replace a camera with a viewfinder for sports and wildlife shooting.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Ray