Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Jeff Self

Which to choose

Have been reading reviews for days now and find that one can walk away more confused than when they started. I am looking for a decent DSLR for the best possible price. I would like to be able to do portrait, low light, and night photography. I like the fact that the K-5 is built weather resistant tough and has good image quality. Is this the bottom for the price range or is there something less expensive that will still have the quality?

08-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Self Quote
Have been reading reviews for days now and find that one can walk away more confused than when they started. I am looking for a decent DSLR for the best possible price. I would like to be able to do portrait, low light, and night photography. I like the fact that the K-5 is built weather resistant tough and has good image quality. Is this the bottom for the price range or is there something less expensive that will still have the quality?
The K-30, K-50, K-5, and K-5 II all have basically the same image quality, though the K-5's have a bit more dynamic range thanks to 14-bit raw support.

At the moment I'd say that the K-30 is the best value, as it's being replaced by the K-50. More info on it can be found below:

Pentax K-50 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Pentax K-30 Camera Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter

The K-30 also has a weather resistant body, but like all the WR bodies it needs to be paired with a weather resistant lens to be fully WR.
09-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Those are great recommendations. If you're on a tight budget, consider buying one of them used, on the Pentax Marketplace. It's where I got my K-5, bundled with a couple lenses, and am very happy.

Then, to confuse you further, you'll have to think about lenses, which sometimes make more of a difference than the camera. Case in point: one of the latest photo contest winner was shot on the older K-7, and a high-end lens, the DA* 300, which costs about $1,000 more than the camera. Not that you need that lens for what you're doing, just an extreme example.

For low light and portraits, either of those cameras with the kit lens (18-55mm WR) would be a great start. Or upgrade the lens to the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 for a little bit better performance in low light. As soon as you get the camera in your hands you might discover a love for shooting something else entirely, so it's good to have the versatility of a standard zoom. Lot's of great (fast) prime lenses to choose from, too. But that's another topic

09-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I also suggest you consider your lens selection.A kit lens such as the 18-55 is a cost-effective option to start with, and the Pentax version is decent. However, low light and night photography benefit from 'fast' lenses, i.e., aperture of f/2.8 or wider. Wider apertures can be found at affordable prices in very good older autofocus lenses such as the Pentax-F 50/1.7 (available in the used market).
09-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buceemie Quote
Those are great recommendations. If you're on a tight budget, consider buying one of them used, on the Pentax Marketplace. It's where I got my K-5, bundled with a couple lenses, and am very happy.
+1 don't neglect the used market. Here or locally. You'll find some great bargains. My K10 was used, but I did buy the K5 new.
09-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I've bought the Pentax K50 about a month ago and have been shooting night shots on Tyne in Newcastle I was using ISO 3200 and my shots
Just needed a very small tweak in Lightroom to show no noise atall many people would have been happy without the ajustment . And that is with the 18-55 mm kit lens I have uploaded one onto the gallery.