Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Richard Melloh

Macro adapter ID and threads for the WG-1

We have purchased a nice little telescope and want to experiment with using a camera with it. The macro adapter for our WG-1 has an inside thread which I measure and predict is a 46 mm female threading, though I can find no info anywhere that is provided by Pentax or anyone else (so why the threads, gosh darn it?).

We would purchase a 1.25" or 2.0" male sleeve x 46.0 mm threaded male telescope adapter, or a female scope adapter to fit an eye piece of our choice x 46.0 mm male thread.

Our hope is to use the USB cable connect ability of the WG-1 to feed images directly to an HD pad or even our 55" LED/LCD flat screen in the family room.

We welcome any good advice.

09-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #2

Yes, I know... the clip-on threaded adapter is under documented.
It is actually described in the manual as a macro stabilizer?!? Apparently Pentax has the notion that you achieve macro stabilization with microscope photography by using this threaded adapter to connect to the Microsoft eyepiece.

The size of the threaded fitting is 46mm.

I have purchased a 46mm CPL (circular polarizing lens) that I attach via this clip-on adapter so I can take pictures with bluer skys and remove surface reflections on water.

Your solution is to get a threaded adapter... this is a common issue with SLR cameras... you have filters on size A that you want to use with your "other lens" which is size B.

Shop around on eBay or wherever for an adapter that goes from 46mm to the ???mm of your telescope eyepiece. You should be able to find an adapter for your purposes... just make sure that you get the threading right (female/male, etc).
09-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Richard Melloh

Thanks for the confirmation

Stamas,

I appreciate your response to my query.

The confirmation helps me proceed with confidence.

Depending on the telescope eyepiece purchased, I can get a female sleeve x 46mm male thread adapter and away we go.

I believe I have a source for an adapter at Digi-Kits.

It remains to be seen whether the WG-1 will function well in this role. It is a fairly flexible little camera and the pixels are in a range that might generate some meaningful images. If it can simply function as a feed to an HD pad or larger screen it might save us a lot of bending over an eye piece, which is difficult to use while wearing glasses.

Best regards,

Richard