Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
taga

I have a kx set to 12mp but only producing 5 mp pics. Please help!

I bought a kx used. i use iPhoto to import and edit. To my surprise, even though my camera is set at 12mp, the photos are typically only 5 mp in size. Add to that editing (such as lightening, contrast, coloring, etc), and the resolution drops even more, 1 to 2 mp per photo typically! I'm really confused. I want to make good prints of my photos, but at this resolution, the photos are coming out bad. How do I take and KEEP the resolution at 12 mp?

Thanks for your advice.

10-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by taga Quote
I bought a kx used. i use iPhoto to import and edit. To my surprise, even though my camera is set at 12mp, the photos are typically only 5 mp in size. Add to that editing (such as lightening, contrast, coloring, etc), and the resolution drops even more, 1 to 2 mp per photo typically! I'm really confused. I want to make good prints of my photos, but at this resolution, the photos are coming out bad. How do I take and KEEP the resolution at 12 mp?

Thanks for your advice.
There's an in-camera setting for the number of recorded pixels. Make sure you set it to 12M.

12Mp files are NOT going to be 12Mb on your disk because of compression. 5Mb is already a bit high for a 12Mp file, I'd say, but 1-2Mb is perfectly normal for scaled/cropped files.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by taga Quote

Thanks for your advice.
Are you shooting JPEG or RAW?
The RAW files will be considerably larger.
IF JPEG do you have the quality selection set to max?
In your editing program it appears you may be compressing further on output, check that the output quality is set to original or maximum.
10-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For starters, MP (megapixels, sensor size) /= MB (megabytes, file size).

As crewl1 mentioned, your photo editor is like compressing the image.

10-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
taga

Thanks so much everyone for your feedback. I had my camera set on JPEG mode, 12mp, three stars (highest quality photo). I will look at my photo editing software and explore the RAW setting.
11-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Not sure what mac product you're using, or how you're transferring images, but here is a link to some limitations with iphoto....interestingly it references something about a 5.5MP limit.....

Macminicolo Blog (Working with a 5D and iPhoto on the new iPad)