Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Peter Soo

Sticky mirror on K1000

I picked up a K1000 at a yard sale and although it looks to be in good condition with all the speeds operating normally, the instant return mirror does not return to its normal position 50% of the times I release the shutter. Is there a simple fix or should I just junk the camera?

10-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty simple fix. The K1000 repair manual is available on-line if you want to give it a shot yourself or you can send it off to Eric and get it done for about $70, and he can look for other potential issues, like light seals, at the same time.

These are amazing cameras and are reliable as the day is long. They are very basic cameras but are definitely worth keeping and using. I have used mine constantly since I bought it in 84. It was my only camera for a very long time. I finally sent it in for a complete service earlier this year but it was actually still chugging along just fine. The increased mirror slap noise was the only indication that it needed new mirror bumpers. Had the Nevada Desert cleaned out at the same time as well as replaced the light seals.