Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
Bob Riggs

Lens compatibility on K-50

I see advertised that the k-50 is compatible with "...every lens ever made by Pentax..." I have some old non-digital Pentax lenses and some old Olympus lenses with Pentax mounts. Will the K-50 accept these non-digital SLR lenses, and if so what issues should I be aware of? I have a lot of these lenses and hate to just pitch them. Thanx.

11-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This will get you started - if it's a K-mount, it will fit. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using...x-dslrs-f.html

If it's a screwmount lens, you'll need an m42 to K adapter. Have fun!
11-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Any K-Mount will fit, Any M-42 Screw mount will fit with an adapter.
11-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Riggs Quote
I see advertised that the k-50 is compatible with "...every lens ever made by Pentax..." I have some old non-digital Pentax lenses and some old Olympus lenses with Pentax mounts. Will the K-50 accept these non-digital SLR lenses, and if so what issues should I be aware of? I have a lot of these lenses and hate to just pitch them. Thanx.
Obviously you might not have autofocus so you will have to be comfortable with using lenses manually which on bright days isn't a bad thing.

Many manufacturers make lenses that are compatible with Pentax bodies. I'm not familiar with Olympus making ones for Pentax offhand.

If you do use a M42 to PK mount, it is suggested that you either get a genuine Pentax-Asahi or if it's a knock-off, be careful with the locking pin.

If you do use older lenses, my suggestion is for you to get PK/A or KR (remove the Ricoh pin) so that you retain the ability to see your image wide open, then the camera will automatically adjust aperture when the picture is taken. It will take out a lot of the guess work involved with M42 and other non-auto aperture lenses AND you can use more of the settings on the camera.

Have fun!

Last edited by Action Jackson; 11-03-2013 at 02:53 PM.
11-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
I have some old non-digital Pentax lenses and some old Olympus lenses with Pentax mounts. Will the K-50 accept these non-digital SLR lenses, and if so what issues should I be aware of?
All Pentax made k-mount lenses will fit. Most third party k-mount lenses will also fit. But not all. Especially look out for ones marked "kr, k/r" or similar, they have an extra pin that can get stuck. Also, some older lenses have a larger aperture guard flange that blocks the lens from fitting on the mount, usually the flange can be removed with little trouble and then they will work.

Post the name and model of what you have an you will get specific information on each lens.
11-04-2013, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Action Jackson Quote
Many manufacturers make lenses that are compatible with Pentax bodies. I'm not familiar with Olympus making ones for Pentax offhand.
Olympus made some M42 mount lenses for their short-lived FTL body. Due to an extra pin these lenses may not work correctly with Pentax M42 bodies or M42-K-mount adapters
Olympus FTL - Camerapedia
42mm screw lenses - Camerapedia
11-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by markkuk Quote
Olympus made some M42 mount lenses for their short-lived FTL body. Due to an extra pin these lenses may not work correctly with Pentax M42 bodies or M42-K-mount adapters
Olympus FTL - Camerapedia
42mm screw lenses - Camerapedia
Ah thanks for the info.
02-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #8

Watch out for KR - which has a second pin utilized for Ricoh cameras. Also, some Sears branded lenses do have problems.....

Over than that, smooth sailing