Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
Grzegorz

Asahi Pentax

Hi this morning I received SMC PENTAX-M 1:1.7 50mm I would like to use in my Pentax k30 but when I place the lens on it and turning on I can't make a shot and always "F--" flashing where is aperature.
I dont know what to do. please help

11-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello - the M lens is incablable of communicating Aperture value to the camera. I refer you to this very valuable thread Stickied at the top of the beginners corner: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using...x-dslrs-f.html

Congrats on the acquisition - and have fun!
11-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #3

This link may also help. Using K-30 With Older Lenses | Ricoh Imaging Support

Regards
11-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Enable Manual Lens?

Hello Gzegorz, Welcome to the Pentax Forum!
Yes, you can use virtually any older lens made for Pentax, on a modern DSLR. But you do have to enable the camera to accept these lenses, in the default mode, it doesn't. It's an option.
Turn camera 'On'.
Press 'Menu' button.
Across the top of the screen you will see- A camera icon, an arrow, a wrench (spanner), and a large letter 'C" (Custom settings).
Use the right-hand button of the 4-way circle dial, go to the letter 'C'.
Now, 4 pages of choices. Go to page 4.
Use the bottom button of the circle dial to go to 'Using Aperture Ring' It should be set to '1'.
Press 'OK'
Number 1 now reads 'Prohibited' Press the bottom button to go to # 2 'Permitted'- hit 'OK'.
Press 'Menu' to clear the screen.
You're done. It only has to be set once. It doesn't change the functions of the new lenses, but allows use of the older ones.
Good luck and enjoy your new and old lenses!
Ron

11-13-2013, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations with your fine smc Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 lens!

As matt says above: Read the sticky guide he refers to. But here's a quick start guide:

1. In the camera Customs Menu Settings, find the place where "Use of Aperture Ring Permitted" is set. (Your M-lens is purely manual and unless your camera is told to accept such a lens, it is by default "prohibited" and you cannot activate the shutter)

2. Set you camera in M-mode. The lens has no electrical contacts and you will have to set the aperture (f-number) on the aperture ring of the lens and you will always see F--- displayed with a manual lens.

3. Set your focus mode to 'Manual' on the camera body, or

4. If your focus mode is set to AF.S you will only be able to shoot if your subject is in focus - a Pentax specialty called Catch-in-Focus (CIF) and a feature that you will soon come to appreciate.

5. Once you have set your aperture and your focus manually, press the 'Green Button' on your camera to meter the light. That will then automatically set your shutter speed.

6. Have fun. Shooting with those vintage, manual lenses can be very rewarding.

But again, read all the fine details in the thread quoted a bove.
11-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Indeed I would recommand to trade it for a 1.7 50 mm Pentax A - same optical formula, a bit more expensive, but much more convenient to use as the camera will control the aperture on this lens.
11-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
Grzegorz

Thank you mattt it was very helpfull. It is working now and making awesome pics

11-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
Grzegorz

Thank you guys for your advice....!!!
01-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #9

Thanks guys, this helped me out as well!
01-31-2014, 10:44 PM   #10

just bought an old prime today. very useful info thanks!
02-11-2014, 10:01 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Gzegorz, Welcome to the Pentax Forum!
Yes, you can use virtually any older lens made for Pentax, on a modern DSLR. But you do have to enable the camera to accept these lenses, in the default mode, it doesn't. It's an option.
Turn camera 'On'.
Press 'Menu' button.
Across the top of the screen you will see- A camera icon, an arrow, a wrench (spanner), and a large letter 'C" (Custom settings).
Use the right-hand button of the 4-way circle dial, go to the letter 'C'.
Now, 4 pages of choices. Go to page 4.
Use the bottom button of the circle dial to go to 'Using Aperture Ring' It should be set to '1'.
Press 'OK'
Number 1 now reads 'Prohibited' Press the bottom button to go to # 2 'Permitted'- hit 'OK'.
Press 'Menu' to clear the screen.
You're done. It only has to be set once. It doesn't change the functions of the new lenses, but allows use of the older ones.
Good luck and enjoy your new and old lenses!
Ron
Agreed