Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Merts Quote
The definition of 'retro' is a current (modern) thing styled to look like an older one.

People think the DF is retro because it is shaped like on old film SLR, and has controls in similar locations to one. The design is totally about fashion, which is fine, if that's what you are into.
All cameras are fashion then. Many of the current DSLRs look a lot like the film versions before they became digital. The 645D being one of them, for example. The DF is a fine camera. High performing sensor, good focus and modern features.

Last edited by tuco; 12-04-2013 at 08:34 PM.
12-04-2013, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No argument that the DF is a good camera. The retro styling does appear to have some minor negative effects on function however.

Your comment
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Current DSLRs look a lot like the film versions before they became digital.
misses the whole point.

Current DSLRs are shaped and styled similar to later film models because those shapes are ergonomically efficient and are practical to manufacture with modern technology. Older film cameras were more angular and less ergonomically efficient because manufacturing technology didn't allow these shapes to be made economically. The DF has been made slightly less ergonomic in order to appeal to a particular market (dare I say retired baby-boomers with plenty of cash and fond memories of the 1970s). As I said before, I don't see a problem with that, but it is silly to suggest that there is any advantage in making the camera look 'old school' at the expense of function.
12-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Merts Quote
Your comment
misses the whole point.
The DF holds well in the hand, has a hand grip ( doesn't need to be any bigger than it is) and the controls are fall within reach of your finger just like my D800. The camera feels light and comfortable. What is not modern about that? You can shoot the camera without using those dials on the top much at all. Both aperture and shutter speed can be controlled by the command dial. I suggest you give it a try at a camera store. But if you never owned a modern Nikon camera it will of course will not feel familiar at all. And the black one actually looks fine with modern G-lenses on it too.
12-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the styling and handling of my K10D, though the prize for best overall ergonomics for shooting of all the cameras on my shelf goes to my FED-2 rangefinder (FED-2, ca 1963). If allowed the luxury of a specialty half case, the prize goes to the elegant Canon P rangefinder (Canon P with Zhou Case).

Point being that balance trumps molded grips and thumb wheels. Both my Pentax SV and Ricoh XR-2s will outshoot my K10D despite lacking motorized drive and auto focus. They are simply quicker to the eye and easy to point.

Worst camera for handling? That would be a toss-up between the Samsung Infuse 4G smart phone and my 4x5 field camera with a slight edge to the 4x5.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-04-2013 at 10:23 PM.
12-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Worst camera for handling? That would be a toss-up between the Samsung Infuse 4G smart phone and my 4x5 field camera with a slight edge to the 4x5.

Steve
I second that. I've even started to collect pictures of people and their convoluted methods of holding a phone camera. I'd say the big grips on DSLRs become more important when you have a big, heavy telephoto on them though.
12-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #36
Pentaxian

It would be interesting to see a remake of the original MX as a dslr. Make it about the same size as the original, use one of the existing crop sensors to keep cost low, Make it so it could meter correctly with K and M lenses. Leave out the video and all of the extras (like HDR and filters you don't need), I wouldn't even care if it didn't have live view. If they made it simple and straight to the point enough they could sell it for cheap and place it somewhere between the entry and mid-range DSLR market.