Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Bob Aymar

battery problem

The camera seems to eat up batteries in the cold.
I installed new high quality rechargable Ni-mh batteries, as the owners manual recomended, and only got 45 pics outdoors in the cold. (30~45 degrees.) The owners manual says I should be able to get 4~5 hundred.
At that point the indicator was saying 30% left from fully charged.
This was the third set I used. First were the ones that came with the camera. Second was a set of rechargeable ones I've had for a year.
Any sugestions before I return this camera to where I bought it?

12-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Aymar Quote
The camera seems to eat up batteries in the cold.
I installed new high quality rechargable Ni-mh batteries, as the owners manual recomended, and only got 45 pics outdoors in the cold. (30~45 degrees.) The owners manual says I should be able to get 4~5 hundred.
At that point the indicator was saying 30% left from fully charged.
This was the third set I used. First were the ones that came with the camera. Second was a set of rechargeable ones I've had for a year.
Any sugestions before I return this camera to where I bought it?
Sounds like a problem with your batteries. Maybe standard alkaline AA's might be worth a shot?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cold is tough on rechargeable batteries. Bring the camera in and let it warm up and the batteries will be full...
Beyond keeping some batteries in your pocket to stay warm, I don't know if there's a solution. I've recently been having issues with my K5's battery in the cold.
12-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Bob Aymar

Batteries

I've tried standard Alkaline as well as rechargeable and made no difference.
Last night the camera started to freeze up everytime I attempted a flash shot outside in the cold as well. The only way to get it going again was to open the battery compartment.
I really like the camera otherwise but cannot go on worrying about the flash working when I need it.
On my way bak to Target to see if they have another one I can exchange it for.
Thanks
Bob

12-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which camera is this? Sounds like returning it is a good option if it's pretty much new and this is happening.
12-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Can you give details of your camera, batteries, and charger?

Don't waste time with alkalines. The problem is the camera's high current draw. Alkalines simply cannot handle it.

You could try Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA.