Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Peter Anderson

Spot at same location on all images

I have a K30 with a Pentax 18-135 lens. I have noticed that on all my pictures I have a spot in the same location. I have used the sensor dust removal option in the menu many times and I have cleaned the lens but the spot remains. If I take a picture of a blank wall without a lens at all, I don't see the spot.

Would the spot be on the lens, the mirror, or the sensor? If so, what can I do to remedy the situation?

Thanks

12-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you show us an image with the spot?
12-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

90% chance dust on sensor -- use "sensor cleaning" to flip up mirror to expose sensor and blow it with rocket blower. (Not your breath! Not compressed air!) 10% chance crap on rear element of lens.
12-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Won;t be on the mirror, so must be on the lens or sensor. As it's virtually impossible to have a bit of dust on a lens show up in images, it's most likely on the sensor. Sometimes, sticky dust can be hard to shift. There are lots of other posts about this problem here. Do post a picture please. it would be much easier to identify the issue.

12-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

You will also notice that the speck will get clearer and more defined the more you stop down, i.e. probably invisible at f2.8, a smudge at f8, and a defined speck at f22...
12-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Do you see crud on or in the lens? Anything big enough to be distinctly visible on the final image should be visible on inspection.

Do you still get the spot if a different lens is mounted?

If not to either question, it is probably junk on the sensor. As Von Baloney says, try to blow it off with a blower bulb (Rocket Blower). Do not used canned air.

Steve
12-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Anderson Quote
I have a K30 with a Pentax 18-135 lens. I have noticed that on all my pictures I have a spot in the same location. I have used the sensor dust removal option in the menu many times and I have cleaned the lens but the spot remains. If I take a picture of a blank wall without a lens at all, I don't see the spot.

Would the spot be on the lens, the mirror, or the sensor? If so, what can I do to remedy the situation?

Thanks
Sounds like a spot of dust on the sensor. You'll want to blow it away with a blower:

Giottos Rocket Air Blower - (Large) 7.5" AA1900 B&H Photo

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the dust is stubborn and won't come off with the blower, I use the Cleanskies sensor brush set, available on evilbay. Basically they are acrylic paint brushes without the sizing material used to make paintbrushes point properly. You use a can of air to blow the brush clean, then take a single swipe across the sensor. The air blowing on the brush creates static electricity so the brush lifts up the dust. Works pretty well.

Living in Florida, I also get wet pollen stains on my sensor in the spring time. To clean those, I use zeiss lens wipes, followed up with cotton swabs.