Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Peter Anderson
Guest




Spot at same location on all images

I have a K30 with a Pentax 18-135 lens. I have noticed that on all my pictures I have a spot in the same location. I have used the sensor dust removal option in the menu many times and I have cleaned the lens but the spot remains. If I take a picture of a blank wall without a lens at all, I don't see the spot.

Would the spot be on the lens, the mirror, or the sensor? If so, what can I do to remedy the situation?

Thanks

12-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
p38arover's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,078
Can you show us an image with the spot?
12-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,002
90% chance dust on sensor -- use "sensor cleaning" to flip up mirror to expose sensor and blow it with rocket blower. (Not your breath! Not compressed air!) 10% chance crap on rear element of lens.
12-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Moderator
Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,533
Won;t be on the mirror, so must be on the lens or sensor. As it's virtually impossible to have a bit of dust on a lens show up in images, it's most likely on the sensor. Sometimes, sticky dust can be hard to shift. There are lots of other posts about this problem here. Do post a picture please. it would be much easier to identify the issue.

12-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,002
You will also notice that the speck will get clearer and more defined the more you stop down, i.e. probably invisible at f2.8, a smudge at f8, and a defined speck at f22...
12-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,424
Do you see crud on or in the lens? Anything big enough to be distinctly visible on the final image should be visible on inspection.

Do you still get the spot if a different lens is mounted?

If not to either question, it is probably junk on the sensor. As Von Baloney says, try to blow it off with a blower bulb (Rocket Blower). Do not used canned air.


Steve
12-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,114
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Anderson Quote
I have a K30 with a Pentax 18-135 lens. I have noticed that on all my pictures I have a spot in the same location. I have used the sensor dust removal option in the menu many times and I have cleaned the lens but the spot remains. If I take a picture of a blank wall without a lens at all, I don't see the spot.

Would the spot be on the lens, the mirror, or the sensor? If so, what can I do to remedy the situation?

Thanks
Sounds like a spot of dust on the sensor. You'll want to blow it away with a blower:

Giottos Rocket Air Blower - (Large) 7.5" AA1900 B&H Photo

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Kozlok's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Albuquerque
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,789
If the dust is stubborn and won't come off with the blower, I use the Cleanskies sensor brush set, available on evilbay. Basically they are acrylic paint brushes without the sizing material used to make paintbrushes point properly. You use a can of air to blow the brush clean, then take a single swipe across the sensor. The air blowing on the brush creates static electricity so the brush lifts up the dust. Works pretty well.

Living in Florida, I also get wet pollen stains on my sensor in the spring time. To clean those, I use zeiss lens wipes, followed up with cotton swabs.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, lens, location, pentax help, sensor, spot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landscape Same Slow Shutter - New Location daacon Post Your Photos! 8 10-21-2013 01:03 PM
Black spot on all pictures beecherheather Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 01-03-2011 02:58 AM
Landscape Changing shot / same location Jimbo Post Your Photos! 10 01-22-2010 08:10 AM
Landscape Light on the Cliffs: different cameras, same spot er1kksen Post Your Photos! 7 10-02-2009 10:41 AM
K10D Spot on some images. Help Please. maxamillion Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 12-11-2007 04:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:33 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top