Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Kaylee

K20D deleting pictures

Hi,
I have been using a K20D for many years and I love it. However from time to time it deletes photos from my SD card. It was happening infrequently so I just ignored it. It now is doing it all the time and every time I take a picture it says that the image cannot be displayed. I just updated my firmware from 1.01 to 1.04. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Anyone know if the firmware update will fix this problem? I use Patriot LX series SD HC 16 GB cards. I seem to have more problems when trying to shoot in RAW format instead of JPEG. Does it make a difference whether I shoot in PEF vs DNG for the cards? I believe I was using PEF, but I just learned what the difference between PEF and DNG is 5 minutes ago on this forum....but it appears to default to PEF. There seems to be nothing else wrong with the camera and I love to get it back into working order. Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks so much

12-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Two things.
1. Do you format the SD card in the camera--you shouldn't use computer.
2. Did you try another SD card? If not I would try this first.
12-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You may wish to look at following:
Pentax K20D problem: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
They talk about trying another card, trying another battery, making sure the card is properly seated in the camera.
The latest firmware is supposed to address some SD problems--but did it get worse after going to latest firmware? If so you may want to go back to earlier one (1.03).
12-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with dms. Try a different SD card, format the card using the camera menu.

A few years ago I had a similar issue with my K20D and it turned out to be the SD card. In that case it started by affecting some images by allowing me to view on the camera, and even as thumbnails on the PC, but that was it. It eventualy worsened to what you're describing.

12-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I had a K20 but never had that problem. Being an older camera, it might struggle with the new SDHC cards especially if you haven't updated the firmware. Try the new firmware for a bit, or try an older 8gb class 2 card. And when you say "deleting", are they actually on the card at one point that you can review, or do they not make it out of buffer to the card at all?
01-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #6
kaylee

Thanks....I have tried multiple SD cards, it seems to be a select 2 or 3, but I don't know for sure since I did not mark the cards when it happened previously. The pictures were viewable on the camera and then were deleted, but as it got worse it couldn't even save the photos. I've tried changing the battery, previously that has worked, but no longer.

I am just trying the new firmware update, will see if it helps. If not I will try a less complex SD card.

Would it matter whether I am shooting in PEF vs DNG? I only seem to have the problem when trying to shoot in RAW format.

Thanks for the advice thus far
01-04-2014, 12:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

On my K20D, I use a 16GB, 45MB/s SDHC card, shoot simultaneous PEF/JPG and am running V1.04 firmware with no issues. Note also V1.04 is the latest firmware update for the K20D.

Carefully test out each SD card in turn to rule the card as an issue in or out. If you strike a card that works, persist with it and shelve the others (don't throw out - yet.) Report back to this forum on your findings as to which cards worked and which didn't, how the cameras behaves, etc.

It strikes me as a bit odd that you could have 2-3 defective cards and a dud battery all at once. PEF vs DNG should make no difference. The firmware shouldn't make any difference unless you were on an earlier update trying to run a high capacity card (even then it would've rejected it and not acted weirdly.) Have your cards and camera been exposed to high or low temperatures? Has your camera been dropped? How old are your batteries?