Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
Rosz

K-7 giving memory card full error

My K-7 has been giving a memory card full error. Occasionally turning the camera off then on again works or formatting the card works. I have not updated firmware since purchase, not sure how and a bit nervous to try. Any thoughts appreciated.

01-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rosz Quote
My K-7 has been giving a memory card full error. Occasionally turning the camera off then on again works or formatting the card works. I have not updated firmware since purchase, not sure how and a bit nervous to try. Any thoughts appreciated.
I'd start by updating your firmware to the latest version- but maybe use a different card for it. I believe that some of the firmware updates address issues with memory card stability.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are many threads on how to do a firmware update, please search for them as they have a nice detailed instruction list. Its probably a good idea to start here, but you should use a reliable SD card for it. Its an easy process that a lot of people do often. If you use a properly charged battery and follow the instructions, everything will be okay

What SD card is giving you problems? Is this a new SD card or has it worked properly in the past? Is it SD, SD XC or SD HC? Can you try using it in a different camera? And can you try using a different card in your camera?

Edit: Make sure the card is not "locked" (there is a switch on it). If all of this doesn't fix your problem or show you what exactly the problem is, I suggest getting another card from a reputable brand like Sandisk. From a proper store, not online. SD cards can be fickle and its even possible to get a counterfeit if you buy online. Getting a reliable, fast card (or two!) saves a lot of headaches.
01-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #4

I want to second the "make sure it's not locked" comment. Ran into that snag myself a couple times. And yes, Sandisk produces some pretty decent cards. I also do recommend that you have at least two, if not three, cards at all times.

02-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #5

1. Always carry a second card - You never know when one might be full, or fail (although I had one grey market card fail of the 10 cards I own).
2. Offload photos and reformat cards regularly - fragmentation is more of a problem than on your computer
3. Update the firmware - in your case, get a new card, place the firmware on that. Make sure your battery is charged.