Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
Amandab1986

Petri camera

I recently received an old petri film camera with many screw mount lenses, I would like to up grade the camera and keep the lenses. From what I've found online this is possible so long as I buy the same brand, from my searches I have found that petri camera company shut down in the late 70's......but the Pentax name keeps coming up but nothing actually saying that these cameras are compatible....the removeable flash on this camera IS Pentax and I can't seem to find any brand names on the lenses except one that is in a box that looks original....the box says it's for Pentax.....givin it IS the correct box. I need help!!!
Thanks for your time,
Amanda

01-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as I know, if it was screw mount Petri then it's M42 format. Pentax (takumar, asashi, numerous others) used the M42 mount lenses as well. Branding back then was interesting, to say the least...
01-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you want a DSLR, Pentax is the obvious choice. Just get an adapter and you can use any screw mount (or Pentax mount, or m42 mount) lens you have.
01-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Your M42 (Praktica/Pentax screw mount) Petri lenses should be compatible with most (all?) Pentax cameras, both vintage screw-mount and K-mount (with adapter). That includes current Pentax dSLRs. In addition, many other digital cameras (Canon, Sony, and others) are able to use your lenses with commonly available adapters.

Note that there is generally some loss of functionality with an adapted lens. On a Pentax dSLR you lose automated metering and must manually stop down the aperture to shoot. That being said, there is a brisk market for vintage M42 glass and your lenses are not without value if you decide to sell.

Out of curiosity, what model is your camera? Petri made M42 SLRs both with their initial models (late 1950s) and toward the end of the brand (late 1970s). If an early model, it may very well be collectible.

Steve

01-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

A warning on the flash first. Do your research with regards to 'trigger voltage'; or you might fry your future new camera.

To be able to use old lenses on modern cameras, you will need an adapter. Which one exactly depends on the camera make and the mount of the lenses.

You can use the lenses on any mirrorless camera with a glassless adapter; if they are indeed m42, you can use them on Pentax and Canon with a glassless adapter. For other makes you will need an adapter with glass which will reduce the image quality.

Last edited by sterretje; 01-14-2014 at 08:22 PM. Reason: fixed a mistake pointed out by stevebrot
01-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
amandab1986

Model of Petri

Its a Petri 500
01-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
You can use the lenses on any mirrorless camera with a glass adapter;
Usually supplemental optics are not required since the registration distance for mirrorless cameras is generally pretty shallow. That is the beauty of mirrorless. They are pretty much the universal recipient for adapted lenses.

Steve

01-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amandab1986 Quote
Its a Petri 500
Ok...your camera is a FT 500 and dates from the mid-1970s. It is similar to the FT 1000 except that it has a 1/500s top shutter speed and no self-timer. The value to collectors is probably minimal unless it is VERY well-preserved. For example, there is currently one being sold (body only) on eBay for parts at $15, buy-it-now.

Steve
01-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Usually supplemental optics are not required since the registration distance for mirrorless cameras is generally pretty shallow. That is the beauty of mirrorless. They are pretty much the universal recipient for adapted lenses.
Steve
You're right; I'm convinced I typed glassless but abviously not; I've corrected the post. Thanks for correcting me.
01-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amandab1986 Quote
Its a Petri 500
According to Petri Camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, that's a M42 camera. So you need a screw mount adaptor. For Pentax cameras, there are two types. Ones with a flange that will prevent infinity focus (under normal circumstances you do not want those) and ones without a flange; be carefull what you buy (safest bet is the original Pentax one, but they are no longer produced to my knowledge) and how you use them as they might get stuck on the camera body if you don't take precautions.
01-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I (perhaps mis)read the OP as wanting to upgrade to a Pentax FILM camera that was compatible with the lenses. Of course that could be a screw-mount body, or a K-mount body with a screw-mount adapter.

In any case, the lenses must have some markings, and you might want to post those. The odds are that a Petri-based kit isn't going to include outstanding lenses, and if you're just wanting to take (film or digital) pictures, more modern lenses can be had that will likely have better performance - and definitely more convenience - than older lenses, for relatively little money.

As far as I know the Pentax-brand screw mount adapter is still being made, or at least can still be bought at online retailers.
01-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
The odds are that a Petri-based kit isn't going to include outstanding lenses
That depends.
I remember that back in the seventies/eighties, some of the Petri lenses were highly regarded.
At the same level as lenses of the "Big Five" (Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax).
01-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
That depends.
I remember that back in the seventies/eighties, some of the Petri lenses were highly regarded.
At the same level as lenses of the "Big Five" (Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax).
I can remember the 70s and 80s pretty well, and don't recall Petri lenses being discussed much at all. Possibly their lenses were produced by some of the same companies that produced 3rd party lenses. However given some of the technological advancements (especially in coatings) since then, only very good lenses from that era can compete with even average lenses today. I still feel you'd have to be a true old-lens enthusiast to make using those lenses worthwhile with a more modern camera.
01-17-2014, 03:06 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Amandab1986 Quote
I recently received an old petri film camera with many screw mount lenses, I would like to up grade the camera and keep the lenses. From what I've found online this is possible so long as I buy the same brand, from my searches I have found that petri camera company shut down in the late 70's......but the Pentax name keeps coming up but nothing actually saying that these cameras are compatible....the removeable flash on this camera IS Pentax and I can't seem to find any brand names on the lenses except one that is in a box that looks original....the box says it's for Pentax.....givin it IS the correct box. I need help!!!
Thanks for your time,
Amanda
Welcome to Pentax, where all old lenses found a place to live ;-)
01-17-2014, 03:55 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Adapt or Not?

Hello Amanda,
Here's the adapter you'll need;
Pentax Mount Adapter K 30120 B&H Photo Video
Hope this helps!
Ron