Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2014, 04:47 AM   #1
Di Zastor

Hoodwinked

Time for a moan. Upgraded to the K-3 with 18-55 kit zoom and found it didn't come with a lens hood. Naively ordered one from Ricoh/Pentax for 11.99 and found it incompatible with lens (they had changed the bayonet fixing). Received a returns authorization and sent it back for refund. The refund was approved. They put a delayed refund payment in my PayPal account, then after further delay I received notice from PayPal saying that the refund had failed. I have contacted Ricoh several times by email and telephone, but still no joy.

1. Why suddenly is a lens hood not provided as standard with a lens?
2. Why have Ricoh not honored their approved refund?
3. Why is the K-3 lens hood more than three times the cost of the lens hood for previous versions?

I didn't buy a lens hood from Ricoh at their inflated price. I found one on the Internet at Digital Media Store for 11.99. The fit is a bit fiddly, but it works fine and was reasonably priced.

01-18-2014, 06:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If the lens is the inexpensive DA-L 18-55, that's how they keep costs down. The DA-L series do not come with hoods.
Is Ricoh not returning your emails or phone calls? They should have processed the return as soon as they received the hood back from you.
01-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Hoodwinked
I'm liking the play on words here.
01-18-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Di Zastor Quote
Time for a moan. Upgraded to the K-3 with 18-55 kit zoom and found it didn't come with a lens hood. Naively ordered one from Ricoh/Pentax for 11.99 and found it incompatible with lens (they had changed the bayonet fixing). Received a returns authorization and sent it back for refund. The refund was approved. They put a delayed refund payment in my PayPal account, then after further delay I received notice from PayPal saying that the refund had failed. I have contacted Ricoh several times by email and telephone, but still no joy.

1. Why suddenly is a lens hood not provided as standard with a lens?
2. Why have Ricoh not honored their approved refund?
3. Why is the K-3 lens hood more than three times the cost of the lens hood for previous versions?

I didn't buy a lens hood from Ricoh at their inflated price. I found one on the Internet at Digital Media Store for 11.99. The fit is a bit fiddly, but it works fine and was reasonably priced.
The K-3 isn't available in any kits with the DA L 18-55mm AFAIK, you should have gotten the WR version of the lens which does come with a hood.

And yes, there's a different hood for the WR and non-WR versions of the lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #5

WR? or not? that is the question
02-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Also, where did you buy this combo?
02-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #7

I would guess, like the rest, you bought a camera which either had the WR or didn't, then bought the other hood. Got to watch those WRs