Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-19-2014, 08:56 AM   #1
Phoneman

Beginner

Want to advance from a point and shoot to a dslr. Wondering if the K30 would be a good choice? Thank you for your feedback.
Phoneman

01-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Besides having a much larger sensor, a dslr offers many more features than a point and shoot (although it can be used in P mode, like a point and shoot). These features can be employed to produce great photographic results; however, they require quite a bit of learning, which, depending on what you want from photography, can be fun and part of the photographic experience. This being said, the K-30 is a great, not good, dslr, which for the price surpasses many more expensive cameras from the other brands. (Most of the December & January blog entries in my blog are taken with K-30 + kit lens.)

Another thing: K-50 basically is a newer version of the same camera, with a different body design.
01-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I went P&S -> micro 4/3 -> DSLR - the DSLR being a K-30. I think it's been an excellent choice, and would recommend it wholeheartedly.
01-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Phoneman Quote
Want to advance from a point and shoot to a dslr. Wondering if the K30 would be a good choice? Thank you for your feedback.
Phoneman
Phoneman, I have had several Pentax SLR film cameras over the last 30 years. For the last 6-7 years I have used a digital p & s (Sony). I wanted to go back to photography as opposed to taking pictures so I began doing research. I bought the K-30 in September and do not regret it for one minute. I discovered that a digital SLR was more difficult, for me, to learn. Too many options! This forum has been INVALUABLE! As a learning resource it can't be beat. After reading this post - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/247120-true-...tart-here.html I turned my camera to manual, decided on my ISO for the day and started shooting! I have had a great time! The K-30 was a great choice for me because it has the features of a high-end camera, without the price of a professional. I have many lenses, auto and manual, so staying with Pentax was a given. My one mistake was not being more aware of the kits offered. I bought the wrong one that included the DA-L lenses. But no worries! Today I bought my first WR lens, the DA 18-135 WR. The last few weeks with all the beautiful snow in New Hampshire I have regretted not having a WR lens to fit on the WR K-30. Good Luck!
Lenore

01-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you want the Rugged look......... K-30

If you want the conservative/normal look........ K-50 (get to choose different color choices)

I own a K-30 and never looked back...
01-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Phoneman

I want to thank everyone for there comments. After reading them I am going to purchase the K30. Will be taking a photography class at local college so I can learn to take advantage of this cameras feature.
01-20-2014, 05:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
I went P&S -> micro 4/3 -> DSLR - the DSLR being a K-30. I think it's been an excellent choice, and would recommend it wholeheartedly.
I skipped the u4/3 stage. My sister is on that phase now.

01-20-2014, 06:13 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Phoneman Quote
I want to thank everyone for there comments. After reading them I am going to purchase the K30. Will be taking a photography class at local college so I can learn to take advantage of this cameras feature.
K30 is a fine choice, without overwhelming you.
Just so you're aware of the possibilities: my nephew's girl friend just started a photography class at a major college near me. Her course required her to use a non automatic FILM camera for the course (gasp). Her course will actually include film developing and darkroom printing (double gasp). I was able to loan her my old Super Program, but I'm not going to rebuild my old darkroom for her. The teacher was OK with the camera but he really wanted something more like a K1000 with no Auto (P) setting. I find it hard to believe that schools might still be requiring film equipment by each student and that the old timey wet developing and printing isn't done as just a demonstration. (I'm also glad to see this).
01-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice to see you are going for the K-30.
Once you get it, feel free to register as well and share your pictures with us .
01-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
K30 is a fine choice, without overwhelming you.

Just so you're aware of the possibilities: my nephew's girl friend just started a photography class at a major college near me. Her course required her to use a non automatic FILM camera for the course (gasp). Her course will actually include film developing and darkroom printing (double gasp). I was able to loan her my old Super Program, but I'm not going to rebuild my old darkroom for her. The teacher was OK with the camera but he really wanted something more like a K1000 with no Auto (P) setting. I find it hard to believe that schools might still be requiring film equipment by each student and that the old timey wet developing and printing isn't done as just a demonstration. (I'm also glad to see this).

That's pretty cool
01-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
After reading them I am going to purchase the K30. Will be taking a photography class at local college so I can learn to take advantage of this cameras feature.
Phoneman,

Thanks for dropping in here. I think you'll find that this Forum offers a terrific amount of high-quality information, ideas and help. Indeed, Pentax Forums is a great resource for Pentax shooters. Hope to see you here often - with questions or pictures!

Best wishes for your introduction to dSLR.

Craig
02-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-30 is not just a good choice, it is an absolutely fantastic choice! I've been using it for the past 18 months and I have loved every second of it.
02-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #13

A few years back I bought a flashy red kx... big mistake... for one... the whole photographer image goes out the window... people find it hard to take you serious when you have this big red box up to your face. and two it is very hard to incognito in public when you haul that thing out of your bag... it was fun but the novelty wore off real quick... and its a little harder to resell when you want to upgrade...
02-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #14

Looking for a new camera myself, time to advance beyond the iPhone.
02-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mildot Quote
Looking for a new camera myself, time to advance beyond the iPhone.
You might get responses tailored to your needs of you start a new thread & tell us about what you're looking for.