Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
Parker

K-30 Live View and Menu Randomly Switching to shooting mode

Hello!
This problem recently has started where when I go into live view on my Pentax K-30 the camera automatically switches back to the normal-viewfinder shooting mode. It doesn't happen instantly, rather, either randomly or when I move the camera in a "semi jerky motion." It also occurs when I'm in the menu or looking through the playback. The camera is shooting RAW, AV, AF with a Tamron 28-300mm lens attached. I have taken great care of my baby over the last year, and there are only 7500 actuations or so. Does anyone know why this might be happening? Many thanks for any help!
-Parker

02-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make sure that you don't have a strap or sleeve accidentally touching anything. The other check would be to move the Live View/Viewfinder switch repetitively in case a small piece of dust is holding it. I'm afraid the only time I had something wrong with my K10D that was similar, Mr. Pentax replaced the whole top plate for a microscopic crack near the AE/L button. Bummer, but the camera is back to new.
02-02-2014, 11:01 PM   #3
Parker

I think I figured it out!

I really appreciate your insight on my problem! As I was trying to figure out what was causing it, I found that the problem is actually most likely the lens' fault: its aperture ring fumbles a little bit when in "A" (the auto aperture mode), and whenever that gets bumped, the camera must think I am switching off the "A" mode into manual aperture o the lens so it switches back to the "viewfinder shooting mode." I'll have to see what Tamron has to say about their lens not functioning correctly/to specs. Hopefully they will understand and fix/replace the lens. Again, thanks for the help!
-Parker
02-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter

And make sure your firmware is up to date. Sometimes random weirdness gets cured with firmware fixes.

02-03-2014, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Sometimes random weirdness gets cured with firmware fixes
So that's what I'm needing then, a Kerrowdown firmware update, as I'm pretty random at times.
02-11-2014, 09:54 PM   #6

I would defintely update it.. but my bet is there is something mechanically wrong.. let us know how it goes