Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
Carol Sharp

Pentax K1000 viewfinder hazy

When I look through my Pentax K1000, the image is not sharp. It looks like there is a light cloud over the image. There are no visible defects in either the lens or the mirrors. There is no visible defect in the viewfinder. Has anyone else seen this?

02-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
This may be a stupid question, but have you tried focusing the lens?

The K1000 has a matte screen with a microprism focusing aid at the center. If everything is way out of focus then the screen appears cloudy, but as it comes closer into focus the screen clears up and you use the microprism to obtain proper focus.
02-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
It looks like there is a light cloud over the image.
Hi,
There are a number of possibilities, though I can definitely affirm that the view through your K1000's finder should be pretty sharp when the image is in focus. Possible reasons why it might not be include:
  • User normally wears eyeglasses and is not using them with the viewfinder
  • Damage to the focus screen due to improper cleaning attempts
  • Fungus damage to the viewfinder optical path
  • Hazing of viewfinder elements due to solvent exposure*
  • Camera lens not capable of generating a sharp image
Oh...maybe a VERY dirty eyepiece.

Steve

* I have seen this with some plastic viewfinder oculars when exposed to Super Glue vapors. Whether this applies to the K1000, I don't know.

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-06-2014 at 08:46 PM.
02-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
* I have seen this with some plastic viewfinder oculars when exposed to Super Glue vapors. Whether this applies to the K1000, I don't know.

It's certainly possible, superglue vapours are incredibly sticky, so anything clear will often be clouded by them (be it glass or plastic)
I believe in forensic examinations they sometimes expose things to superglue vapours, the vapour clings more to the fingerprints, and they simply dust it and take a transfer.

Anyway, my guess would be that the focussing screen was "cleaned" at some point.
Dirty viewfinder, dirty mirror, and fungal lens should all be pretty visible and obvious.

But yes, focussing screens are often ruined by people thinking that "a dab of metho on a cotton bud will clean it right up" Especially with the K1000.... being a student camera quite often means it's been taken care of by people somewhat less educated in camera care than others.

02-06-2014, 10:49 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
I believe in forensic examinations they sometimes expose things to superglue vapours, the vapour clings more to the fingerprints, and they simply dust it and take a transfer.
My wife does "cyanoacrylate fuming" every year in her forensics class. It's much easier than they make it out on TV.

Anyway, my guess would be that the focussing screen was "cleaned" at some point.
My thoughts exactly. It's a pity the K1000 doesn't have interchangeable screens or it would me much easier to diagnose/fix.
02-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Has anyone else seen this?
Some cases it was due to a high humidity environment or otherwise actual water infiltration. On the slight chance too is age... as greases and oils break down and out gas fumes.
If you are looking to clean it, it is a matter of getting the top shell off and a cotton-stick/Q-tip to mop off the residue. The areas that will fog over are both the eyepiece glass and the view window side of the pentaprism.
02-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

But yes, focussing screens are often ruined by people thinking that "a dab of metho on a cotton bud will clean it right up" Especially with the K1000.... being a student camera quite often means it's been taken care of by people somewhat less educated in camera care than others.
That^

Also, Make sure the focus screen has not shifted or become dislodged in some way and that the mirror is seated correctly
02-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #8

condensation?

Is there any chance that you went from a very cool to a warm enviroment... ? if so put your camera in a sealed plastic baggie when you do change enviroments... .. it's a balmy -47 celsius here tonight lol...