Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
sambookman

a quick flickr question, bb code

Hi, I wonder if someone can assist with a quick question - I have been googling without a concrete answer so far, but found an existing recent thread on your forum which came fairly near.

Someone has asked me about posting flickr images on forums, and I have navigated my way to the 'get BBcode link' on flickr, but ideally they need to be able to post their image without the details underneath, as flagging every image with flickr on the forum in question would be frowned on. Some of the posters on the thread I saw had the title/details etc under their photos but some not, I just wondered how they had managed it.. (I know you can remove the extra code with the details yourself but they would not want to fiddle with that - that may simply be what your members have done.)

Many thanks if you can help

02-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The new beta photo 'experience' doesn't include the link back to flickr

To get BBCode in the beta you click the Share icon then click the push pin icon.
02-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As BorisCleto said, the new version doesn't include the info line. Apart from that, flickr automagically marks the entire code block when you click on it, and there doesn't seem to be a way to only mark the first line.

Deleting the extra code isn't particularly fiddly - there's a line break between the image line and info line.
(I changed "url" to "urlx" and "img" to "imgx" in the example below so that everything would show)

[urlx=http://www.flickr.com/photos/thoog/11941274715/][imgx]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5506/11941274715_cc035a7018.jpg[/img][/url]
[urlx=http://www.flickr.com/photos/thoog/11941274715/]Abstract / bubbles in pink[/url] by THoog, on Flickr

The original code, with the second line deleted:

02-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I routinely edit the info line out. This is acceptable by Flickr's usage agreement. Their only requirement is that a shared image be wrapped in a link back to the original Flickr page.

Steve

02-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
sambookman

Thanks very much indeed for your replies.

I had skimmed past the 'new beta experience' bit on the too-hasty presumption it would not have a bearing on this issue. I will pass the beta method (as posted by boriscleto) on to the person concerned.

To be honest even had I spent longer poking all the beta icons & options on the photo page I would probably have overlooked the push pin anyway, expecting a similar drop down 'grab the link' menu as the non-beta - & if I were someone who didn't know much about links, code & the like it doesn't really help that there is no mention of forums or BBcode to help you out. At least the non-beta has something...

Personally I would be ok with either method but the person concerned would definitely not want to delete extra code, & I wouldn't really want to give them any more steps to follow than 'go here click this' etc. I suppose it also remains to be seen what form the final beta options take as they are still trialling stuff it seems.

Thanks again for your prompt answers & for saving me going further round the houses; have to say Flickr is the least idiot-proof site I have tried out so far, never having used it myself, & so coming to it totally from scratch (& with at least a reasonable bit of knowhow).
02-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Thanks again for your prompt answers & for saving me going further round the houses; have to say Flickr is the least idiot-proof site I have tried out so far, never having used it myself, & so coming to it totally from scratch (& with at least a reasonable bit of knowhow).
I think it's because they're trying really hard to hide direct links to their files, since such links generally cost them a lot of extra bandwidth with no revenue potential. So that's why all the sharing options are so cryptic and unclear. The easiest thing for you as a forum poster would of course be to just grab a direct link to the uploaded image, hit the image button in the forum editor, and paste the link there.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think it's because they're trying really hard to hide direct links to their files, since such links generally cost them a lot of extra bandwidth with no revenue potential. So that's why all the sharing options are so cryptic and unclear. The easiest thing for you as a forum poster would of course be to just grab a direct link to the uploaded image, hit the image button in the forum editor, and paste the link there.
Agreed. That's what I do for most of my images. I upload images to my Google account then post the image URL here. Quick and easy and I don't have to deal with Flickr's unreliable and buggy site, or try to keep up with their frequent site changes.

02-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Agreed. That's what I do for most of my images. I upload images to my Google account then post the image URL here. Quick and easy and I don't have to deal with Flickr's unreliable and buggy site, or try to keep up with their frequent site changes.
Since anything 2048X2048 or smaller doesn't count against my Google Drive space, I've started doing this, too. I was completely lost the last time I actually logged into Flickr...
02-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #9
sambookman

Thanks, I did consider that (url + forum Img option), but - and I am probably just being dim - at first recce it seemed to involve at least as many steps to me.

At any rate I am happy with the beta/push pin method in terms of explaining it to someone else, so that'll do me, thanks. At least it's not just me finding flickr less than user-friendly, & a quick google pretty much lends weight to that idea.

Cheers again for responses - it's appreciated you take time here to help visitors.
02-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Cheers again for responses - it's appreciated you take time here to help visitors.
Just think how helpful we would be if you joined.
02-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #11
sambookman

Sadly I'm not a photographer - this is where I happened to find a thread relative to my query, so this is where I posted my question..

.. trust me, you don't want me & my £40 pocket camera in here
02-09-2014, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #12
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use Flickr and also Firefox so some of what I do may not work with other browsers. If I want to link to a photo with having others see all the other information like location I then go to the Flickr photo page for the photo and copy the URL from the address bar. It will look like this.

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/dazt/11695172443/

From this link there is a lot of information like day it was taken, the camera used and the location if I so let Flickr have it. From this page clicking on the location will get a map and on show more next to additional info will give basic settings. Click on the settings and you get almost all of the EXIF info.

This unfortunately doesn't give any control over how a photo will look on the forum. For this I right click on the photo. This allows to pick a size. Picking any size opens the photo in the “All sizes” window. I can either go with the size I picked or pick from the list. This is were it gets to the Firefox part. If I right click on the photo I get at drop down menu with the option of “View Image”. Using that option I get a window with just that photo and a link in the address bar for just the photo.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7349/11695172443_9b180a2a73_c.jpg

So when I post photos on the forum I do it like this.

DAZ59017-1
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/dazt/11695172443/

First I insert the photo then the name (more for me so if asked I can find it easer) then the link to the Flickr page so if someone would like more info they can get it as all most all the information is strip from the photo.

DAZ
02-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #13
sambookman

Thank you for your post. I am using firefox, & have now tried both methods of obtaining the url for an image - yours and the slight variant when previously messing around in the beta - so that works fine. Although I selected 'copy image location' but that is much of a muchness.

As far as image information &c goes, it's a little outside the narrow scope of my original query - as I perhaps should have outlined more clearly in my first post, I am merely putting together a few small tutorials across a couple of topics for a [non-photographic] forum of not especially tech-oriented folk. In general what they are likely to want to do is maybe post a screenshot, diagram, family photo or suchlike, so I have put together simple guides covering a range of photo hosting sites - hence my trying to stick to BBcode for consistency. Having said that, knowledge is never wasted & thanks very much for the extra info, I will digest it for my own reference.

As goes without saying, wow @ the superb images in this thread. Envy.
03-12-2014, 10:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I routinely edit the info line out. This is acceptable by Flickr's usage agreement. Their only requirement is that a shared image be wrapped in a link back to the original Flickr page.

Steve
Then they should fix this with their own link they provide on the Beta version which does not link back to the page, but the picture posted. Seriously considering moving to 500px right now.

edit: Actually that seems to be forum dependant.