Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
Cmo

K5 II vs k50

I'm looking to but my first DSLR, and my two options are the k5 II and the k50, the difference in price right now is $100 body only,,,
Should I go for the k5II,, or the difference in IQ and other spects is not worth the extra money,,??

Thanks

02-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
Forum Member

I personally think the body doesn't really matter - you need to think about the lenses, and for those $100 I guess you can find something interesting.
Bottom line - if you like the feel of holding the camera - it's going to be something you'll carry along, which is when you'll use it to take pictures. Even trying - I can't think of a camera today that takes bad pictures - doesn't matter if it's five years old, what it boils down to is what's in front of the body (the lens) and what's behind it (you). :-)
02-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If it's in your budget k5II, there are tons of info on here as well as YouTube, I recommend search photouniverse Ed has a lot of good videos. Being that this is your first DSLR you may not notice or need the difference between the two. Both are solid performers. Are you getting new or used? And I'm sure others will chime in with pros and cons of each and which is better for different types of photography, however regardless of your choice the glass makes the difference...Good lenses will make a bigger difference than the body,it's mounted on...good luck and let us know what you decide.

JJ
02-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cmo Quote
I'm looking to but my first DSLR, and my two options are the k5 II and the k50, the difference in price right now is $100 body only,,,
Should I go for the k5II,, or the difference in IQ and other spects is not worth the extra money,,??

Thanks
I think pentax K5-II is a better choice. It has much longer battery life (2x). More importantly, the color depth is 14 bit Raw for k5-ii vs 12 bit for k50. And the autofocus sensitivity for K5-II is also better. I bought the K5-ii as my first DSLR several months ago.

02-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought the K-50 for its focus peaking.
If you're into MF lenses, it's a real boon.
02-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Wait until the k50 goes on sale then pick one up. You should be able to get the body for $499 eventually.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Being that this is your first DSLR you may not notice or need the difference between the two.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Wait until the k50 goes on sale then pick one up. You should be able to get the body for $499 eventually.
I think that buying for the future is always the best way to go. It's best to overbuy and grow into the features you don't yet understand than to buy something slightly cheaper that may eventually become unsuitable. Remember: $100 now (or even $200 if you wait to snag the K-50 at $499) is still cheaper than $300 plus the hassle of selling the old body later!

But only if you plan on collecting old manual lenses and using the K-50's focus peaking will you prefer that one. In many ways, the two are similar but the K-5 II is a more advanced camera that will suit your needs for a much longer period of time. It may even inspire you to get more into photography because it can do a bit more.

02-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The II has better AF (more sensitive SAFOX X) longer battery life and quiet shutter; the K-50 has focus peaking and more video versatility (PRIME-M) and comes in more colors If any of those speak to your needs specifically, that's your answer, otherwise you will find each takes most excellent images.
02-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

K5ii
02-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I think that buying for the future is always the best way to go. It's best to overbuy and grow into the features you don't yet understand than to buy something slightly cheaper that may eventually become unsuitable.
This was why I recommended the kII, it's not far enough removed that you couldn't sell it the next time you upgrade. And it may last you several models down the road who knows, I'm still learning things on my k5...

JJ
02-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K 5 i i
02-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
And it may last you several models down the road who knows, I'm still learning things on my k5...
Too true. I still use my K-7 and haven't seen any compelling reason to update to a new dslr body yet.

And I second what @sormel said "what it boils down to is what's in front of the body (the lens) and what's behind it (you). :-)"
02-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Others have broken it down well. For the $100 difference you mention, I would take the K-5II no question.
02-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sormel Quote
I personally think the body doesn't really matter - you need to think about the lenses, and for those $100 I guess you can find something interesting.
Bottom line - if you like the feel of holding the camera - it's going to be something you'll carry along, which is when you'll use it to take pictures. Even trying - I can't think of a camera today that takes bad pictures - doesn't matter if it's five years old, what it boils down to is what's in front of the body (the lens) and what's behind it (you). :-)
I agree with your second statement, most bodies are definitely capable of taking great pictures. But in my opinion, the body DOES matter.

With the K-5, ii, iis I can do 95% of the changes and tweaks I need to do without menu diving. They have a dedicated AF button, which is decoupled from AE lock, which there is also a seperate button for. Dedicated button for ISO, and a dial for metering mode.
Those touches make, in my opinion, a much more enjoyable shooting experience, and can make the difference when conditions change fast.
In addition, the K-5ii focuses in lower light and has a quieter shutter.
it is just more refined and a more pro style body.

That is why I would choose the K-5ii.
02-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

If you are in the market for a K50 why not consider a colorful k30? At $440 shipped it is a steal! Amazon.com: Pentax K-30 Weather-Sealed 16 MP CMOS Digital SLR (White, Body Only): Camera & Photo

Either way Adorama is running a clearance special $697 +Free Shipping and you get 4% Rewards Pentax K-5 IIs Digital SLR Camera Body 12050
Irresistible deal IMO!