Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
Angel

Pink vignetting

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help. I have Pentax k10D which is 5yrs old. I have been photographing my handmade cards for the last few weeks. All fine until 2 days ago when I noticed that the pics were showing a light pink tint which is worse at sides and corners. I am not using any filters, I even removed UV filter. I am using 18-55mm Pentax lens. I have formatted Sd card, done the dust removal and sensor clean and am currently trying to figure out how to upgrade the firmware. Any ideas why this is happening now and is there anything I can do to fix it?

02-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome!
Do you shoot jpeg or raw?
Could you maybe post a sample photo? Maybe its just flare?
02-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

It is possible it is the lighting and the White Balance settings you are using. In your photo post processing software, try doing a white balance adjustment. The darker at the edges is most likely just the lens characteristics: most lenses vignette a bit and it is showing up as colour because the overall colour of the photo is off a bit.
02-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #4

Hi thanks for the quick response! I shot these in JPG using 2 florescent 5500K daylight lights, white balance set at (N) under florescent daylight setting. I have added 2 photos, one pre pinkness and the other obviously pink. I have used the same set up for weeks, same lights in same position and same camera settings. Since posting I found another post, re purple vignetting, suggesting a camera reset which I have now done and the pinkness seems to have gone. I will know for sure tomorrow when I have both lights set up again. Hopefully it will have worked and not just temporarily, as the local camera shop suggested.

---------- Post added 02-22-14 at 07:25 PM ----------

sorry the pics are so big, first time posting in a forum! will resize in future.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
02-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter

White balance. Daylight fluorescents are hard. I would shoot in RAW using auto white balance and adjust in post-processing.

Steve
02-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #6

ok thanks very much, will try that tomorrow. Just can't figure out what changed to make it go pink.
02-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Yeah, you might want to use a custom WB - just aim the camera at something white in those conditions and it should adjust. Maybe its a camera issue, I don't know that particular camera, hopefully the reset did the trick
Firmware update is also similar to a reset, but more thorough, and it might improve overall stability/fix some bugs
02-23-2014, 06:29 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Florescent lights look white to the eye but have a spectrum with a few bright peaks and holes. Not the thing to reproduce the colours in your cards correctly. To make matters worse the lights change spectrum over a cycle every 120th of a second, causing mysterious colour shifts between shots. Anything else, incandescent, LEDs, or flash work better for what you are doing.

02-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #9

Hope the suggestion of WB worked....

What I love about Pentax is, even back to the K10, the white balance settings are so easy....much easier than on other cameras. Just take a picture, then go to white balance, it takes that photo and allows you to adjust the white balance for future photos off that......so simple but so perfect....
02-25-2014, 07:46 AM   #10

Thanks for all your help everyone, the reset fixed things for exactly 5 shots then the pink returned. My local camera shop says its a CCD issue and camera needs to be sent off for 3 weeks to hopefully fix it. I don't know if I can survive without my Pentax for that long lol!
I tried shooting RAW with auto WB but it didn't help. Also the LCD shows normal pics the pink then appears when I put them on PC.
I thought if i used daylight 5500K florescent lights I would be ok, I'll try LED's next.
I'm looking to buy a new Pentax for now then fix K10D later. I would love the K3 but I'd need to win the lottery first, so I've been looking at K5/K5ii/K5iis as possibilities.
02-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When you shot in RAW, what did your RAW converter saw the White Balance was? Was it giving different values for the images that turned out pink vs a normal one? Do you get pink images under other light sources like sunlight?

The colour cast does appear pretty uniform across the screen to me, which thankfully makes it pretty easy to correct in post in a couple of seconds for something destined for web display (I used the free program 'The Gimp' and it's levels tool). Not ideal, but if you're on a budget it may be a better option then a repair bill.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo