Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
Larry Jackson

k-r camera heat problem

For some reason my camera gets hot. What could cause this?

02-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Hot where exactly?

Are you using the original lithium battery?
02-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larry Jackson Quote
For some reason my camera gets hot. What could cause this?
If you use it in live view all the time, it might get a little warm- that's normal. But I wouldn't call it hot.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As Adam said, if you are using Live view, expect it to get a little warm. I however, would call it hot. I have had it shut down for me a few times in these situations due to the heat. I try to avoid reaching those levels due to fear of heat damage to the sensor, so I try to limit these super extended live view sessions to winter. Which is generally the only season I can (stars, light trails, etc.) due to summer nights being so light.

If you are not using Live View, then it seems odd that it is getting hot. I have never experienced a temperature change in the body other than in LV.

02-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome!
Are you using live view? Does a thermometer icon show up? This happened to me a couple times when I was using live view for long periods of time in the summer heat. Its best to turn the camera off and remove the battery for a while, to let it cool down.
If you are not using live view and are in normal weather conditions, the K-r should not get overly warm (though, it might be slightly warmer than ambient temperature, since there are electronics inside)

---------- Post added 23rd Feb 2014 at 00:58 ----------

Oh, and just as a general thing: are you using the latest firmware? A firmware update can often fix little hiccups
02-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #6

One other possibility is if you are shooting video. The Kx and Kr were notorious for overheating when shot for awhile of video. And awhile I mean 15 minutes or more straight. I was shooting a play once, and shot two different days so I could get the first and second halves.