Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Ray_Bombadil

"Solar Eclipse" on K10d Images

Just bought a K10d as is on eBay. Was fully aware that images from the camera had yellow discoloration on the upper left corner. This would be my first DSLR; so I was fully prepared to accept the sensor flaw in order to save some money, and just use it as a learning camera.
When I received the camera, I could see that images had a black smudge on the upper left corner, surrounded by yellow. It reminds me of a solar eclipse. I flipped the mirror up to look at the sensor surface (I suppose I was actually looking at the low-pass filter). No obvious problem that I could see. But the next 4 or 5 images after that had no discoloration at all. I was thrilled, but thereafter the problem returned, except that occasionally the discoloration was only a yellow smudge in the center of the image. Now I wonder whether there is a simple solution to the problem. Thanks for any advice.

03-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the defect become more clear if you change your aperture to f/11 or more?
03-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
post some example images up
03-13-2014, 03:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Sounds like there's a foreign object floating around inside the camera.

03-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #5

Image Samples

These three are consecutive images. Aperture does not appear to make any difference. Most of the time, the dark smudge in the corner is solid black and more substantial.

Maybe there is liquid trapped over the sensor. Is it feasible/advisable to remove the low-pass filter?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-13-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

That looks like it could be liquid trapped between the filter and the sensor. Perhaps someone tried to clean their sensor with the big spray-bottle of Windex?
Theoretical treatment: Stand the camera on its edge so it can drain away from the center of the sensor and it might dry out eventually. Leave the lens and body cap off and put a sheet of newspaper over it to keep dust away.

---------- Post added 03-13-14 at 11:16 PM ----------

I don't advise attempting to operate on the sensor. I have done it to a Sony and a Nikon to convert to IR. It is major camera surgery. I couldn't imagine doing it to a camera I liked.
03-13-2014, 11:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If it shows up stronger the more consecutive pictures You take I assume it has to do with sensor warming up too much.
03-14-2014, 12:29 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Does the K10D have a dust-removal option in the menu that vibrates the sensor? I wonder if that would shake things up a bit.