Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I am an able left hander.

I find it hard to imagine using a DSLR without my right arm.

But this idea came. If you can do the preliminary settings with LH supporting the camera with the neck strap it can get to a ready to use state.
Then lift to eye with LH, supporting the front heavy load of the lens.
The last step is shutter release. This would be best using a remote release device activated by something other than LH - probably mouth. (Trying to release with LH which is also supporting the camera would induce shake.)

I think you need a camera with a viewfinder, not a screen, because the screen results in holding it way out in front which make vibration horrendous.
holding a cable release between your teeth? Makes so much sense, I don't know why we didn't think of it sooner. If the cable release also runs the AF that's the best of all worlds.

I wonder if there's a market for a truly ambidextrous camera? maybe a repositionable grip or something. With a digital, there's no need to preserve the integrity of a film path, so the grip can be anywhere.

I was thinking have a central bit with lens mount and sensor, ahd grip can go on either side in either direction. Viewfinder (if not an SLR) could go on the grip or on the "body".

I like this idea.

04-12-2014, 03:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Just a thought.

04-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about your recent problem. Here's an interesting idea from PopPhoto - perhaps this is something you could build or have built.

One Hand Snap allows for one handed camera usage | Popular Photography | Popular Photography

Most every idea I've run across involve a tripod and a remote release - that might be the easiest way to go. I'd go one step further and suggest using a pistol grip instead of a regular ball head - you might be able to attach the remote release to the pistol grip????

Best of luck.
04-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, after some thought, I have another option - see the photos. The flash bracket has a molded left hand grip and a most likely unnecessary cable release - which can be removed. I mounted my Pentax Q so you can see how it works, but the bracket is plenty long enough for any DSLR.

There are several for sale on 'the bay', but I'd be glad to work out a deal with you as I haven't used this in ages.

(And thanks to my wife for posing as my 'model')

Last edited by ChipB; 03-25-2016 at 08:59 PM.
04-13-2014, 05:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Well, after some thought, I have another option - see the photos. The flash bracket has a molded left hand grip and a most likely unnecessary cable release - which can be removed. I mounted my Pentax Q so you can see how it works, but the bracket is plenty long enough for any DSLR.

There are several for sale on 'the bay', but I'd be glad to work out a deal with you as I haven't used this in ages.

(And thanks to my wife for posing as my 'model')
This is the exact same model as the one I have, and I, too, am happy to work out a deal for mine. I no longer have the gigantic Super Graphic press camera I used this with, though if I do keep it, I can probably use it with one of my TLRs, my Kodak Medalist (Which is the least ergonomic camera ever invented) or if I buy a Speed Graphic.
04-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My condolences on the loss of use of your right arm. I can't imagine what you're going through. I don't know what I'd do without mine but I guess I'd learn to live with it somehow.

I did a search and found this pistol grip with a shutter release that might work for you. It seems a better solution and inexpensive enough to give it a try.

Best of luck.
04-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Melacrunch Quote
Hello friends,

I recently lost use of my right arm (likely permanent) and am looking for a lefty friendly DSLR. I know I can flip it over but without my right hand to stabilize I would prefer to find a more compatible solution. Any helpful thoughts or ideas? Thanks in advance
I don't see any reason why you could not buy an after-market battery-grip and butcher that to make a left-hand grip. It would take someone with a bit of machining skills to do, or perhaps a 3-d printer and some machining, but it should be do-able. All you need are the wheels, buttons, mounts and relevant wiring and it should be possible to do. Might not look that pretty, but certainly not too hard to do, technically.

04-13-2014, 11:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I don't see any reason why you could not buy an after-market battery-grip and butcher that to make a left-hand grip. It would take someone with a bit of machining skills to do, or perhaps a 3-d printer and some machining, but it should be do-able. All you need are the wheels, buttons, mounts and relevant wiring and it should be possible to do. Might not look that pretty, but certainly not too hard to do, technically.
Decent plan...but unfortunately this is one of those things that is twice as much work as it seems, and that itself is also twice as much work as it should be. Still, for someone with the right setup and skills, it should be relatively simple.
04-14-2014, 01:24 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Decent plan...but unfortunately this is one of those things that is twice as much work as it seems, and that itself is also twice as much work as it should be. Still, for someone with the right setup and skills, it should be relatively simple.
Yes, you're probably right. I do like the flash bracket idea posted above too. But, the thought of having all the working buttons from the grip would be a plus for me. I'll be happy to contribute the 3-d design for a left-handed grip.
04-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Hey Mela,,

Welcome to the forum. Let me add some ideas to the mix.

1-Cowboy Studios shoulder rig.

I have one for video and it's quite handy. The camera can sit there by itself without you having to hold it and you can fiddle with the controls with your left hand. You, essentiall, become a big, fleshy monopod for your camera! The only downside is that it's hard to tilt the camera up or down, although you may be able to add a 2-axis head to give you this option.

2-a camera with a flip-twist touch screen. I have a Panasonic GH2 and you can make all the primary camera settings from the touchscreen - aperture, shutter, ISO, White Balance, etc... You can even set the focus point and trip the shutter with the touchscreen.

Combine the two above and you have a mobile, versatile set up.

Best of luck to you!
04-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #26
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
If this concept becomes Reality it could be extremely beneficial for people with the use of only one limb One Hand Snap ? One Hand DSLR Camera Clicking by Xing Dawei aka Dave Xing