Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
Mike uk

Pentax kx as photo booth camera

Looking for some advise.
I have a Pentax k-x and want to use it in a DIY photo booth for my daughters wedding.
So far I have a remote control trigger and an output cable.
The camera will be set up on a tripod facing a back wall. Guests will be able to set off the camera using the remote control as they face the camera.
A 14inch flat screen TV will be mounted below the camera and attached using the output leads. The camera will be set to Live View so guests can see themselves on the TV screen before they trigger the camera. (We are not worried about printing or viewing photos immediately after they have been taken.)
I have tested the set up and it works fine.
The next problem is getting adequate continuous power to the camera. I have seen instructions on this forum and intend to make my own ac adapter using aaa to aa converters and a dc power unit linked with a female and pigtails to the battery converter.

I have 2 problems,
1. What should the voltage and amperage of the power unit be. I can get hold of 6v 3a and 5v 3a or the same voltages but 4a output so not sure which one to use
2. Will the proposed set up damage the camera. i.e. Is it ok to run the camera in LV mode all night with the output connected to the TV (TV will have its own power supply)

Hiring a booth is way out of our price range so we are trying to do as much as we can ourselves.
I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me

Thanks
Mike

04-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can acquire one of these it'll offer you peace of mind:
Pentax K-AC84 AC Adapter Kit (includes D-AC76 and D-DC84) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

And the sensor will probably overheat after a few hours, so I would recommend having the camera go to sleep when it is not being used. Alternatively set up a power button for users or something like that

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Energizer ultimate lithiums should last the night if you are letting the camera go to sleep. Use makeshift modelling lights instead of flash
04-22-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
Mike uk

Thanks guys.
I do not really want to keep turning the power on and off because each time I will need to reset it to LV mode. The whole idea is for me to set it up and leave it unattended for the night.
My main concern is 'cooking' the camera so maybe I will have to close the booth every hour for 10 minutes while it cools itself down again.
Thanks again.