Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
Courageous Faith

Joining the Pentax family

Hello. I am a relatively beginning photographer but becoming more advanced. I use a Canon 20D at the current time and looking to join the Pentax family. I have done some research into the K20D and K-7 and seem to be leaning toward the K20D because I don't need video. As this will be my first Pentax, in case I didn't mention that, I am just wanting some input from some Pentax users as some of you may have used one or both of those cameras. The camera will be used mostly for landscaping but still will do an occasional wedding or some portraits. I am BIG on image quality! To me that is the most important. I do know that not just the camera but the lens has a lot to do with that. As some of you may be also, I am on a low budget and can get a K20D for around $245 for the body or a K-7 for $339. I am wanting a little more than just an entry level camera. Any help or comments will be greatly appreciated....thank you.

05-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both K20D and K-7 are good oldies IMO. They work very well at low ISO and will give you great shots, especially with good glass. If you want IQ (image quality), do invest immediately in quality lenses: it makes a hell of a difference!

In terms of handling the K-7 is better. Indeed the K-7 body was re-used for the body was re-used for the K-5, K-5ii, K-5iis and K-3. That says a lot IMHO.

If you do not need the video, the K20D may be a better value for money.

Have you looked at the K-x? The K-x was the entry level Pentax SLR with a IQ superior to the K-7 at the time, in particular at high ISO. If you need high ISO, the K-x would be a better option possibly. But it is not WR.

In summary: if you want IQ, go for quality lenses. The K20D, K-7, K-x are all reasonable bodied and will deliver high quality shots with high quality lenses.

Hope that the comment may help.

Last edited by hcc; 05-01-2014 at 01:52 PM.
05-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
Forum Member

First, welcome to Pentax.
I own all three (Pentax, Canon & Nikon) and the Pentax cameras are my favorite to use in almost all circumstances.

The K20D and the K-7 are both great cameras. However, for a bit more money, you may want to also look into the Pentax K-5.
The K5 is a very serious upgrade to both those cameras and can be found on ebay in the $450-$550 range.
05-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Which camera?

The K-20 and K-7 have a similar/same sensor, but the ergonomics and other features favor the K-7. If you can possibly stretch up to a K-5 or K-5II, you should not have to upgrade camera bodies for a good long while. If budget does not permit, then I would say go for the K-7 and upgrade to the K-5 series when you can. Actually any of these three bodies should work for you if you can invest in some good lenses. The priority really ought to be acquiring some good lenses, as these become part of your permanent collection while bodies come and go.