Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by davidallan Quote
OK - I went for it. I just placed my order for a K3 with the 18-135 zoom. Should be here in 5 or 6 days.
Brilliant, Iím sure you will enjoy, I bought a used K5 and love it, there are so many lenses available to use with it, cheers.

05-09-2014, 03:53 AM   #17
allandavid

I'm pretty excited about my purchase, can't wait for it to arrive. I received very good advice from everyone which I greatly appreciated. In the end I was determined to get either the K5iis or the K3. For the $350 price difference, I am happy with my decision - spent weeks reading reviews of different models and I kept coming back to the K3. Lots to learn.

Speaking of learning - can anyone recommend a proper SD card? I have read that some are faster than others - is that correct?
05-09-2014, 06:06 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, cards have different "write speeds." If you go to the B&H website you will find "filters" along the left that allow you to limit the offerings by manufacturer, storage capacity, and write speed. I use mostly SanDisk with a smaller number of Kingston cards - both brands have been 100% satisfactory, but other brands are fine. I would recommend 32GB cards (get at least two) and one or even two steps down from the "ultra" fast write speeds, in other words, invest in more storage space = more cards rather than state-of-the-art blazing speed. Go through the offerings and consider the pricing. 64 and 128GB cards really kick up the price, and I would personally go with more slightly lower capacity cards. Top speed cards can cost double the price of a slower card with the same GB capacity. When traveling/touring, I take four 32GB cards plus a couple of older 8GB's. During the Africa trip, I used all four of the 32GB cards and started on one of the 8GB units - about 4500 image files (many duplicates and many discarded after culling, down to maybe 1500 decent images, 800 or so good images, with some overlap/duplication among the latter, such as eight very good pictures of a lion, but the same lion at the same time in slightly different poses). However, if I'm going out just for a day, or just for the morning, two 4 or 8GB cards are generally sufficient. When working in the basement "studio" doing close-ups, I often use a low-write speed 1GB card because I download to computer after no more than 30 or so images. I purchased half-a-dozen 1GB cards at a bargain price (about $2~3 each) when a local merchant was discounting them because they were "obsolete." Those work fine. For studio macro set-ups, write speed is relatively insignificant. Why not just use the 32GB cards all the time? When repeatedly used, erased, reused many times, the cards apparently do deteriorate (with all the $$$ we give the government, you'd think they'd do something about entropy - and my aging). I want the 32GB cards reliable when traveling, so I use the lower capacity cards when they will suffice. Sort of spreading out the wear-and-tear. BTW: I've never had any card fail.

A CONSIDERATION: If you record JPEGs, more files can be stored on a card than if you use RAW. Raw files from K3 with its 24mp sensor are very large and fill any card significantly faster. If you plan to use RAW and take lots of picture, you'll need about 30% more card storage.

---------- Post added 05-09-14 at 09:38 AM ----------

FOLLOW UP:

Just made a quick visit to the B&H site. Here are prices of three Sandisk 32GB cards:

1) with 10mb/sec write speed: $21
2) with 90mb/sec write speed: $50
3) with 250mb/sec write speed: $130

I would go with two of the 90mb cards, but the cheapest one would probably be fine for routine family photos or even some vacation touring. The super speed would only be justified if you're using the camera on high-speed multiple images time after time, such as at fast moving sporting events or maybe doing a lots of birds-in-flight. For the price of one 250mb/sec card you can get two 90mb/sec cards, one 10mb/sec card as a back up or when you don't need speed, with enough $ left for lunch at McDonald's. Seems an easy choice to me.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 05-09-2014 at 07:07 AM.
05-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #19
allandavid

Thanks WPRESTO!!! I appreciate the explanation and recommendations. Thanks for taking the time.

05-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Get a couple 16GB or 32GB - it holds a LOT and put them in different places because you're certain to forget one in the computer eventually...
05-17-2014, 05:05 AM   #21
allandavid

K3 kit arrived yesterday afternoon...I'm impressed, with the on-line seller.....and now to digest the manual. Camera is a thing of beauty in itself!
05-17-2014, 07:05 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

To digest a modern DSLR manual, take it in small bites. There are many, many features you don't even need to know about in order to enjoy taking great pictures. Some features are best, perhaps only learned when you decide you need them.
05-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Get a couple 16GB or 32GB - it holds a LOT and put them in different places because you're certain to forget one in the computer eventually...
Since the K3 has multiple slots, my occasional forgetery is easily resolved by the backup card in the second slot. (Plus I use it for overflow when I fill up the first.)

06-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #24

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Allandavid Quote
I'm reentering the world of photography as a hobbyist...have been out of it for years. First and only DSLR was an Olympus e510. I'm really leaning toward Pentax because of the weather resistance as I'd like to shoot outdoors and not be concerned with the weather. I have been considering the new K3 (yes it's probably a bit much for a beginner but I don't mind paying for new technology)...however as many of you know there are two problems being reported on this forum, the mirror flapping and freeze up. Should I pass on the K3 and go with a proven standby K5IIs? Or should I chance the K3? Or am I crazy for buying either one since I'm at a beginner level (I've had had film cameras over the years and taken classes long ago). Your input would be appreciated. I'd like to become a member but want to own one first.
I shoot with a Pentax and love it. However, I also shoot on occasion with an Olympus E-520 (the IS sister to your E-510) and enjoy that as well. My recommendation to you would be to look into getting one of Olympus' OM-D models. The E-M1 (drool drool) is weather sealed, a stellar performer, and you can save some cash on lenses.
06-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
I shoot with a Pentax and love it. However, I also shoot on occasion with an Olympus E-520 (the IS sister to your E-510) and enjoy that as well. My recommendation to you would be to look into getting one of Olympus' OM-D models. The E-M1 (drool drool) is weather sealed, a stellar performer, and you can save some cash on lenses.
He bought a K3.
06-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Yup and I love it!
06-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Or am I crazy for buying either one since I'm at a beginner level
I'm glad you didn't let that worry you. Yuo will be fine.

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Any recommendations for a filter to protect the glass?
The hood is all the protection needed for many. Me included. Especially since the 18-135 has the super protect coating. Get a lenspen to clean the lens when needed instead

If you do want a filter, get a Marumi, Hoya coated, or maybe a B+W (though those are overpriced).