Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
allandavid

Good outdoor carrying gear?

In anticipation of my new K3 I'm thinking about how to carry it around out doors. Activities will be hikes, hunting, fishing. Would like something I can "toss" in the backseat of my truck and throw over my shoulder as I head out into the wilds. I do understand that easy access to the equipment is of critical importance as you are hiking along. I've seen a canvas one from Koolertron.

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks

05-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by allandavid Quote
In anticipation of my new K3 I'm thinking about how to carry it around out doors. Activities will be hikes, hunting, fishing. Would like something I can "toss" in the backseat of my truck and throw over my shoulder as I head out into the wilds. I do understand that easy access to the equipment is of critical importance as you are hiking along. I've seen a canvas one from Koolertron.

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sounds like you're after a small sling or messenger bag, i.e.:
Lowepro Passport Sling Camera Bag (Black) LP36140 B&H Photo
Tamrac #116 Evolution Messenger 4 Camera Bag Shuttle A11603 B&H

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #3

Hi,
I can recommand you F-Stop bags.
The moutains serie, that are backpacks, are excellent for outdoor. But there are also others series and kind of bags.
05-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

For me, I have found that a small-ish backpack is the best for hiking through woods - especially if I'm bushwacking off trail. Shoulder or sling bags tend to snag on trees and branches or sway off the shoulder when I'm ducking under or stretching around obstacles. I use a Tamrac Evolution 6, which can also be put in sling configuration. It's fairly low-profile and hugs the body well.

Like any backpack, you must take it off to access your gear, unless you're using it as a sling bag.

- Craig

05-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I like the Tamrac messenger bags. I use a Rally 6 but the Apache series is waterproof.
They are light and comfortable when carried cross body.
05-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I like the Tamrac messenger bags. I use a Rally 6 but the Apache series is waterproof.
They are light and comfortable when carried cross body.
Lowepro 102 AW. Carried to school everyday for three years. Hiking in all types of climates and terrains and has a rain cover that pulls out of the bottom for entire coverage. Room for body and normal lens plus room for three more (longest Da 55-300.) Highly recommended.
05-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have recently purchased from the market place on this forum a Kata DR 465i (it is a small size backpack), for the purpose of walking along National Park tracks, and plan to add the Sirui T-025X tripod to it, i think here in Australia Mainline Photographics sell Surui.
05-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter

How much are you taking? Camera on a black rapid strap on one shoulder. Up to three lenses and filters in a Domke F-5XB on the other. Light and weather proof.

05-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

There was a nice review of a Tenba messenger style bag on this forum, but my financial controller/wife refused to let me pay 150 dollars or so for my fourth bag in two years. So I found a replica of it for a third of the price, under the name Jenova. It looks so similar it may even be made by the same Chinese manufacturer.

At the moment I am carrying a K-5, 4 primes, a 10-17 FE, and a mini tablet in it, plus 2 spare batteries, 4 SD cards and a remote. Which leaves room for a K-3 body later.

Evocations of Final Fantasy VII cheer me up, too.
05-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm with you on that Bagga sometimes the wife just says no.
05-10-2014, 11:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have 5 different Kata bags, all for different uses, but I would recommend you have a look of their 3in1 series.
If you register your Kata bag online it has lifetime warranty.

---------- Post added 11-05-14 at 16:30 ----------

Let us know what you end up getting.
05-12-2014, 05:53 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Beyond bags I strongly suggest a sling strap. THey're much more secure and comfortable than a neck strap or shoulder strap. While it will not be much better on a bike, there are other solutions which keep that sling type strap secured to your waist.
05-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #13
allandavid

Bought the Evolution 6 today.
05-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #14
Pentaxian

One thing I do with my camera bags is to add little foam pieces in the bag compartments to hold the equipment tight, also to absorb vibration from vehicles. I also seat belt the camera bag in tight.

It may seem like overkill, but I learned the need to do it about 35 years ago...when someone hit my car and the loose camera bags went flying.

It only take seconds to secure the bags in a vehicle.