Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #1
picnic100

Manual Mode stuck on Pentax K-30

Hi all,

I've been using a Pentax K-30 for documentation work in Papua New Guinea. It has done very well in the heat/humidity on long trips into the jungles, taking hundreds of quality photos. Recently I was shooting in manual mode and I didn't notice the battery was low. I snapped a shot and it was like the shutter stuck closed. I figured it was just too low on power to finish the shutter cycle, so I turned the camera off and replaced the battery pack with a freshly charged one. I tried to take the picture and the same thing happened - stuck shut. After a couple seconds it finished its cycle and it looked as if my problems were over. However, when I pressed the "play" arrow to see the picture, it was just pure white. No photo was taken. After this I tried a couple of more times with the same results -- stuck shutter, white picture. After switching to auto, the camera performed as normal, taking great auto pics. Video also works. But the manual settings all hang and do the "stuck shutter, white picture".

What gives? Is there a way to reset something on the camera to get the manual setting to work again?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I use the manual mode for more control in low light situations and auto isn't sufficient for some of the situations.

05-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you tried different shutter speed? If your shutter would be stuck shut, you'd get a black picture, not a white one. To me it looks like your camera is set for longer exposure