Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2014, 03:46 AM   #1
xr6digga

Pentax X90 will not focus

Hello,
I have a Pentax X90 that has been working without fault since purchased in 2010.
We have recently been camping and i had packed the camera in a box and put in our trailer.
I'm thinking the vibration of the trailer across bumpy roads has caused this problem.
The camera just doesn't focus.
Any ideas?
Is it worth repairing when I could just purchase a similar camera for the price of repairs?
Thanks,
Paul (from Australia)

05-12-2014, 03:54 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can probably pick up an X-5 (successor to the x90, launched in 2012) for well under $200. There are also other brands to consider if availability is an issue.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-12-2014, 05:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear that. The X90 is a fun little camera, very compact for a superzoom. But it's highly unlikely to be worth repairing.

The X-5 is not as compact, but the ergonomics are performance are better, if you can find one.
05-12-2014, 07:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can probably pick up an X-5 (successor to the x90, launched in 2010) for well under $200. There are also other brands to consider if availability is an issue.
Umm... I may be reading this wrong, but the X-5 wasn't launched in 2010, was it?

@ the OP: check if it was set to manual focus by mistake, try resetting the camera and try leaving the battery out for a few hours.

Last edited by Giklab; 05-12-2014 at 08:39 AM.
05-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I think he meant that the X90 was launched in 2010. I got mine from a friend in 2011, lightly used, so that year sounds about right.

Good ideas to reset the configuration settings, and leave the battery out for a while. That can't hurt to try.

As a last resort, you could try giving it a good thwack against your knee, in case the focusing mechanism got jammed. As a last resort only!

Independent of the focusing mechanism, does the zoom work? Have you tried zooming it through the entire range, in case that helps to free up the other parts?
05-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Umm... I may be reading this wrong, but the X-5 wasn't launched in 2010, was it?
Typo, it was launched in 2012.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: