Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2014, 04:50 AM   #1
allandavid

Eyepiece for K3?

I've read a previous post about an alternative eyepiece for Pentax but it seemed like a long wait for a disappointing end result. Can anyone tell me if they have been successful in finding something other than the one that comes with the camera? B&H shows a Vello ESP-DSLR Eyeshade for Select Pentax Cameras....but it doesn't specify which cameras.
Your help would be appreciated.

05-18-2014, 07:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Search "nervous nellie" here on site to pull up my fairly recent thread posing a related question about the K3: The responses I received should be helpful to you. -- Fred
05-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure what you're looking for I have two eye pieces, the right angle adapter and 1.2 magnifier, both Pentax products. The 1.2 magnifier lives on the camera all the time, and the right angle adapter lives in my bag, for use on rare occasion. Both attach to the same slot that holds the rubber eye guard and require no modification to the camera.
05-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
allandavid

I'm looking for a rubber eyecup....something that protrudes more so I can block out the light by pushing my eye socket against it. The one that is with the camera is a bit to flat.

05-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well, scientists at the Max Planck Institute in Germany -- Svante Paabo, et.al. -- have found through modern DNA analysis techniques that those of us with ancestry from the European/Eurasian side of the big ponds have 1-4% Neanderthal DNA in our genomes. Maybe that's part of the problem, given the possibility of one's being a 4-percenter. 😉

@normhead... What's the official model designation for that 1.2 magnifier you have? Could you comment on whatever downside you may noted by using it as your, er, norm. The owner of a pair of age 60+ eyes would like to know. Thanks. -- Fred

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 05-20-2014 at 09:26 PM.
05-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #6
allandavid

Yes, we have the Neanderthal genetics in our gene pool...it seems to be especially dominant in my oldest son who enjoys pointing out his overhanging brow-line every now and then....but I don't think mine is getting in the way of the viewfinder though
Just looking for a simple rubber eyecup to help out my mid 50's eyes.
05-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
Well, scientists at the Max Plank Institute in Germany -- Svante Paabo, et.al. -- have found through modern DNA analysis techniques that those of us with ancestry from the European/Eurasian side of the big ponds have 1-4% Neanderthal DNA in our genomes. Maybe that's part of the problem, given the possibility of one's being a 4-percenter. 😉

@normhead... What's the official model designation for that 1.2 magnifier you have? Could you comment on whatever downside you may noted by using it as your, er, norm. The owner of a pair of age 60+ eyes would like to know. Thanks. -- Fred
To tell you the truth the only advantage to the 1.2 magnifier is it protrudes further out than the rubber thingy that came with the camera making it a little easier to peer into.

On the box it says the following.

Pentax magnifying
Eyecup O-ME53

Made in China

Even though I don't think it does much, I'd recommend it. The first thing I did when I got my K-3 was attach it. I haven't really ever thought about why... I just like it.
05-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

The O-ME53 magnifies the viewfinder image just enough to make manual focus with an LL-60 focus screen easy. The LL-60 has a coarser grain than the one that came with my K10D.

05-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks very much for the assist, normhead and C_R. I'll check into this further.