Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2014, 11:31 PM   #1
Samson Naidoo

Durban

I have a Pentax MZ-30 film camera with a Pentax 28-80 lens. Currently when I look through the view finder, all appears black. When I remove the lens, I notice that the rectangular mirror, which should be facing up , is flat facing the flash base. Can this be repaired and at what cost. Alternatively , can I purchase a digital body and use the above lens, as I also have another lens ( 100-300 )
rgds

06-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samson Naidoo Quote
I have a Pentax MZ-30 film camera with a Pentax 28-80 lens. Currently when I look through the view finder, all appears black. When I remove the lens, I notice that the rectangular mirror, which should be facing up , is flat facing the flash base. Can this be repaired and at what cost. Alternatively , can I purchase a digital body and use the above lens, as I also have another lens ( 100-300 )
rgds
Yes, your lens will work on a digital body. As for the mirror, what happens when you try to shoot a photo? Have you installed a fresh battery in the camera?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-17-2014, 12:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can use the lens, but warning!! Your old 28-80 lens (or the 100-300) won't have the same field of view.
Your lens was wide-ish to slightly long normal on film. On digital it will be normal to short tele, not a very appealing range.

To get the same field of view with a digital camera, you would need an 18-55mm lens.
06-17-2014, 12:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Can this be repaired and at what cost.
Far cheaper to buy another MZ-30. They usually run in the $30 range. Here's an example:

Mint Pentax MZ 30 35mm Film SLR Camera Body for K Mount Lenses 027075048362 | eBay

06-17-2014, 01:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samson Naidoo Quote
rgds
Take a small screwdriver, just push down lightly on the tip of the mirror, be careful not to scratch it...if it flips down, it's possible that the foam cushion that absorbs the shock of the mirror flipping, might be deteriorating, and getting sticky. That is fixable, but it would be much better to get a Pentax DSLR, and use the lenses on it....
Before you decide to buy a DSLR, and taking in consideration where you live (hot humid etc), please make sure you do not have any fungus https://www.google.co.za/search?q=lens+fungus&client=firefox-a&hs=FaV&rls=or...w=1600&bih=802, Lens Fungus Cleaning | Learn How to Clean and Avoid Camera Lens Fungus, Fungus on Lenses | ZEISS International in your lenses, I bought a few used lenses from Durban with that problem...
06-20-2014, 04:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The mirror movement of the MZ-30 is motor driven through gears, so the trick mentioned by altopiet may or may not work even if the fault is caused by rotten foam.

Damage of the plastic gear which is sitting directly on the motor well is a common one with all of the MZ series except the MZ-S. Replacing the gear by a metal one would still be possible (if you could get one), but the cost would be much much higher than the current value of the body.

EDIT: Also, nearly all the Pentax 28-80mm lenses were budget offers and not really up to the Pentax standard in respect to image quality.
The only exception being the SMC Pentax-A 3.5-4.5/28-80 (mind the "SMC", the same lens without it was a completely different lens and also a budget type).
But the MZ series usually were offered as a package with lenses of the SMC Pentax-FA series, where the 28-80 was regarded as a usable amateur allround lens, but nothing special.

Last edited by RKKS08; 06-25-2014 at 08:59 AM.