Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2014, 11:16 PM   #1
Kevin Wnuk

M mode on K-30 with 50mm DA lens

When I try to use the M mode, I can only take one shot!

If I want to adjust the speed or aperture, I need to go off M and then return to M.

Is this a lens / camera flaw?

Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

06-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote

If I want to adjust the speed or aperture, I need to go off M and then return to M.
Just press the shutter button half way to re-activate the light meter. Or, rotate the front or rear dial. That's what you're doing by changing modes as well.

Last edited by OregonJim; 06-21-2014 at 12:00 AM.
06-20-2014, 11:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin Wnuk Quote

Thanks!
What is your ISO setting M or Auto?

EDIT: With AF DA16-45, in M, with Auto ISO you actually get TAV and can change T and AV...with ISO on manual setting, fixing specific ISO, ISO is fixed and T and AV can still be ajusted...I don't understand the fact that you can only take one shot?
06-21-2014, 12:10 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin Wnuk Quote

Thanks!
Read this article:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-21-2014, 12:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Read this article:
How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-5, K-r, K-x, K-7...)
But he said he was using a DA 50...
06-21-2014, 12:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
But he said he was using a DA 50...
+1, but AFAIK the DA50 do not have a switch on the lens to disengage AF, which turns it into a "manual" lens, so he should get the same setting options I've mentioned, I just checked on my K-30. I can't understand the fact that he can only take one shot....
Also out of Adam's link "K-30, K-50, K-500 and K-01 users: make sure you also set your green button "action in M/TAv Mode" to Tv SHIFT. This is found under the button customization menu (page 3 of the main menu) on the K-01 or as a custom function on the K-30, K-50 and K-500. Also, avoid auto ISO."

06-21-2014, 01:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
+1, but AFAIK the DA50 do not have a switch on the lens to disengage AF, which turns it into a "manual" lens, so he should get the same setting options I've mentioned, I just checked on my K-30. I can't understand the fact that he can only take one shot....
Also out of Adam's link "K-30, K-50, K-500 and K-01 users: make sure you also set your green button "action in M/TAv Mode" to Tv SHIFT. This is found under the button customization menu (page 3 of the main menu) on the K-01 or as a custom function on the K-30, K-50 and K-500. Also, avoid auto ISO."
Ok, I'm totally lost now. What does AF have to do with setting exposure in manual mode? Or green button use with a fully automated DA lens?

06-21-2014, 02:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Ok, I'm totally lost now. What does AF have to do with setting exposure in manual mode? Or green button use with a fully automated DA lens?
Sorry, you're correct, I had a blond moment, trying to think why he can't take another shot...

Perhaps it's better to wait for OP to clarify exactly what he's doing and at what settings...
06-21-2014, 07:54 AM   #9
Wnuk

Manual dials don't work after one shot.

Just press the shutter button half way to re-activate the light meter. Or, rotate the front or rear dial. That's what you're doing by changing modes as well.
Sorry! My question was not well written...and I've found the cause of the problem!

My K-30 was on M mode, using a DA 50mm lens. The ISO was not on auto. I'd adjust the speed and aperture to my liking and take a shot.

Problem - After taking the shot, I couldn't adjust the speed or aperture. I'd take another pic at the same "frozen" setting...and then be able to adjust the dials once more. So, ever second shot was adjustable!

Why? The Exposure Bracketing was on! (That's what I get for buying a reduced price demo model!)

So, all is good now!

Thanks guys!