Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #1
JayDog
Guest




Review mode defect

The next day I received my ne K3, I noticed a serious defect in the review function. I took a shot in AV mode and turned on the review to see the image. Once the image was displayed on the monitor, the monitor went black and returned to the AV screen. I tried a few more times only to get the same result. I also noticed that while the image was being displayed before the monitor returned to the AV screen the camera started trying to auto focus the lens (you can hear the focusing mechanism turn on!). I called the Pentax customer service and walked through this with the agent on the phone. He declared that the camera was defective and needed to be returned to B&H (the vendor I used for it's purchase). Eventually, the camera was shipped back. I had it for only two (2) days!! So, my concern is this: Does Ricoh-Pentax test these cameras when the come off the assembly line? Do the really test them? - or just say they do! Do they test the basic functions, the most commonly used functions: shutter release, mode selection, review, menu navigation, etc., etc.)? It looks like they do not; but, at best, only conduct spot tests for one out of any number of new units.

07-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,181
Sometimes I'll get this and I finally realize I'm inadvertently touching another button by the way I hold the camera. But I'm guessing that wasn't the case here.

This isn't normal, nor is it something I've heard of before. I'd suggest just getting another one or trying a K-5 IIs.


I know nothing of your experience from your post, but I hope you've reserved at least as much as the price of the camera for lens purchase(s). This should be true whether you buy another Pentax or try a different brand. If you can't do this (or at least save up that much money within a couple of months or so) then you're spending too much on the camera body and you need to buy a cheaper model.
07-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian
fgaudet's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 726
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Sometimes I'll get this and I finally realize I'm inadvertently touching another button by the way I hold the camera.
My thoughts exactly, probably the AF button at the back or even the shutter button which is very sensitive on the K3.

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Does Ricoh-Pentax test these cameras when the come off the assembly line? Do the really test them? - or just say they do! Do they test the basic functions, the most commonly used functions: shutter release, mode selection, review, menu navigation, etc., etc.)? It looks like they do not; but, at best, only conduct spot tests for one out of any number of new units.
Having worked in manufacturing automation most of my life, I can say that very few companies will test every single unit coming out of a production line, even the top of the line models. They usually do spot checks... how many and how often will depend on many factors. But this is mostly to prevent manufacturing a lot of defective units if something does go wrong on the line... If the spot check is OK, every item produced since the last spot check will be considered OK, if the spot check isn't OK, the opposite will apply, every item produced since the last check will be considered bad and will be individually tested (or trashed for low cost stuff).

I hear ya about your K3, I had TWO defective one before I got the one I have, the first one wouldn't even power on... And I'm not even gonna talk about my recent Sigma lenses purchases (who GCs every single lens). But this is why stores offer returns and why warranties exists. For all you know, this problem with your camera might have happened during shipping or someone dropped the box at the store...
07-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,167
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
So, my concern is this: Does Ricoh-Pentax test these cameras when the come off the assembly line? Do the really test them?
Ricoh probably tests their cameras as thoroughly as any other brand digital SLR. The last time I looked at Consumer Reports' chart the industry average was about 3%-5% serious defect out-the-door across brands and models. Yes, that means 1 of every 30 dSLRs going out the door at B&H, Adorama, or Best Buy is going to be sent back for replacement or service. I know, it is a shameful thing, but the defect rate is consistent with other devices such as personal computers and electronic components*.

To put a positive slant on things, at least the problem cropped up early enough to allow for an easy return with shipping paid both ways.


Steve

* Recently had an ASUS motherboard DOA...not happy...Don't they test these things?

07-03-2014, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,949
QuoteOriginally posted by JayDog Quote
The next day I received my ne K3, I noticed a serious defect in the review function. I took a shot in AV mode and turned on the review to see the image. Once the image was displayed on the monitor, the monitor went black and returned to the AV screen. I tried a few more times only to get the same result. I also noticed that while the image was being displayed before the monitor returned to the AV screen the camera started trying to auto focus the lens (you can hear the focusing mechanism turn on!). I called the Pentax customer service and walked through this with the agent on the phone. He declared that the camera was defective and needed to be returned to B&H (the vendor I used for it's purchase). Eventually, the camera was shipped back. I had it for only two (2) days!! So, my concern is this: Does Ricoh-Pentax test these cameras when the come off the assembly line? Do the really test them? - or just say they do! Do they test the basic functions, the most commonly used functions: shutter release, mode selection, review, menu navigation, etc., etc.)? It looks like they do not; but, at best, only conduct spot tests for one out of any number of new units.
Perhaps the shutter button was stuck half-pressed or something like that. As for QC- big manufacturers do random sampling rather than testing everything that comes off the assembly line. Fortunately there are no major QC issues with the K-3 in general.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,428
QuoteOriginally posted by JayDog Quote
Does Ricoh-Pentax test these cameras when the come off the assembly line? Do the really test them? - or just say they do! only conduct spot tests for one out of any number of new units.
Yes, that. They do not test them all. No one does. All products have some defects - hence the manufacturer's warranty.
09-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 100
QuoteOriginally posted by JayDog Quote
The next day I received my ne K3, I noticed a serious defect in the review function. I took a shot in AV mode and turned on the review to see the image. Once the image was displayed on the monitor, the monitor went black and returned to the AV screen. I tried a few more times only to get the same result. I also noticed that while the image was being displayed before the monitor returned to the AV screen the camera started trying to auto focus the lens (you can hear the focusing mechanism turn on!). I called the Pentax customer service and walked through this with the agent on the phone. He declared that the camera was defective and needed to be returned to B&H (the vendor I used for it's purchase). Eventually, the camera was shipped back. I had it for only two (2) days!! So, my concern is this: Does Ricoh-Pentax test these cameras when the come off the assembly line? Do the really test them? - or just say they do! Do they test the basic functions, the most commonly used functions: shutter release, mode selection, review, menu navigation, etc., etc.)? It looks like they do not; but, at best, only conduct spot tests for one out of any number of new units.
I am having the exact same thing happen! I have been trying to search online to find out if this is abnormal or not before calling the company. Mine was from B&H also. It seems that when I review images the screen goes black as if it's wanting to take an image instead of showing them to me... It's really annoying as is the near constant re-auto-focusing of the camera without pressing any buttons. Thanks for the post!
10-02-2014, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 100
QuoteOriginally posted by aikilink Quote
I am having the exact same thing happen! I have been trying to search online to find out if this is abnormal or not before calling the company. Mine was from B&H also. It seems that when I review images the screen goes black as if it's wanting to take an image instead of showing them to me... It's really annoying as is the near constant re-auto-focusing of the camera without pressing any buttons. Thanks for the post!
After reading the comment about it sounding as if the shutter button was stuck in half-pressed mode (a constant attempt to take pictures) I had an idea. It made sense that the button would have been internally stuck since it seemed to always focus. I gave my camera a very firm tap near the shutter button and then turned it on and for the first time it is working properly in regards to AF and image review!

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
av, camera, defect, functions, image, mode, monitor, pentax help, review, test
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Name this lens defect! Tighelander Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 02-05-2014 01:50 PM
Strange defect with smc 50mm f2 flosampodg Pentax K-5 12 01-20-2014 12:57 PM
What could be causing this defect? Jamey777 Pentax Film SLR Discussion 4 12-20-2013 09:26 AM
67: Defect-open shutter....sometimes klaus123 Pentax Medium Format 4 02-11-2013 07:53 AM
K5 vs. K7 rear LCD display differences in review (playback) mode jpzk Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 10-03-2011 09:11 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:30 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top