Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2014, 03:33 AM   #1
Iain McFarlane

Resetting Date on K-500

I have found that my camera appears to be "loosing" the date and time and the reset panels for this appears often when the camera starts, is this a known issue , is there an issue with my camera (small internal battery not working or something) any help regarding this would be appreciated, having to do this is affecting my thoughts on an otherwise cracking wee camera!!

thanks in advance for any help

Iain McFarlane

07-19-2014, 06:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

There is an internal battery, but it's recharged off the main battery.

Do you leave your camera without the main battery in? If not hopefully the camera is in warranty as it appears the internal battery is faulty.
07-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
Iain McFarlane

Reply to Thread

John, Camera is less than 3 months old I will go to the shop I bought it from and have them fix/replace it I think

thanks for the reply

Iain
11-13-2016, 05:52 AM   #4

Is it possible to replace the internal battery ? Can you buy it?

11-13-2016, 06:02 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robin48gx Quote
No. It's build into the main board.
11-13-2016, 03:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robin48gx Quote
It depends on your skill. It is an ordinary button battery glued and soldered in place on the board. You can buy it and it is replaceable with the right tools. The same stands for the capacitors, which cause the low battery error (but they are not glued, just soldered).
11-13-2016, 03:59 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

But they aren't really consumer replaceable.

11-15-2016, 12:11 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just be careful you don't shock yourself on the internal flash, should you decide to open it up and give this a try.
11-15-2016, 12:32 AM   #9

There was a thread or two on what the manufacturers part number and where the battery is located for some Pentax bodies. Not all bodies use the same battery/accumulator. When I looked up the specs from the manufacturer for the battery in question it only had a limited full discharge to full charge life cycle - say around 50 times. The partial discharge to charge life cycle was several magnitudes more. As I recall from some of the FAQ on the Pentax support pages it takes on the order of 48 hours to fully discharge the accumulator on the bodies in question and like 48-72 hours to fully charge a completely depleted clock battery. The moral of the story is it is better to store your camera with a charged battery in it than to remove the battery. Or avoid leaving the main battery out for more than 48 hours as much as possible.

The accumulator (fancy name for a rechargeable battery) is soldered to board of the camera. Soldering/desoldering skills are required along with sufficient manual dexterity. Removing the back case and accessing the battery may require some desoldering and disconnecting fragile flex connectors too. As Photolady95 said not considered consumer replaceable.
11-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Audi 5 cyl Quote
It depends on your skill. It is an ordinary button battery glued and soldered in place on the board. You can buy it and it is replaceable with the right tools. The same stands for the capacitors, which cause the low battery error (but they are not glued, just soldered).
Opening a camera that is still under warranty will almost certainly void the warranty.
11-15-2016, 08:52 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Opening a camera that is still under warranty will almost certainly void the warranty
Indeed, as does replacing non-consumber replaceable components. And soldering surface mount components requires the appropriate skills especially components mounted on flex boards.